Can you guys recomend a good printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Mar 4, 2005.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I need a new printer. I have about 250 bucks. I just want a reliable good printer for printing photos and homework. I have an ibook so i want to be able to connect to it using usb or firewire. Something not to big as well. Any suggestions? :D

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

FireWire-attached printers like my Canon i9900 cost a lot more than $250.

Practically any Canon or Epson printer for $100 or more will do what you want. Those from HP will work too but I don't recommend them. If you need copying facilities, the all-in-ones from Epson are really nice.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Do the cheaper ones your referring to connect via usb?

4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Captain,
    Here's a good recent thread that can at least address some of your inquiries.

5. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Cool, thanks mcgarry ;)

6. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

7. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

You're welcome. Did that (and any other similar) threads help you narrow your search still further? for example, how serious about photo printing are you? Do you want separate ink tanks for each color? Any paper-handling preferences (duplex, borderless, etc.)? I don't have all ther answers to these questions myself, but others here might. For basic text printing with the occasional passable photo, though, $100 or so should be fine.

Personally, I'm inclined to point you towards Canon for reliability and value, even with what I wrote in that other thread.

Also, you can find b&w lasers from HP, Brother, and Samsung (I think) for $200 and below. If color is unnecessary, they might be worth a look.

8. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Theres so many printers. Do you guys have a good experience with any particular canon inkjet? I need it for mostly just black and white text printing and the occasional photo. Thanks

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i liked the three epsons i had from 1999-2003

but i have had better reliability with my lexmark z-23 even though i admit it did not print as pretty color pictures/images

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Almost all printers now connect via USB, some using USB 2.0 like my Epson CX6400 all-in-one but my Canon i9900 connects either by USB or FireWire but it was $500 and can print on 13x19 sheets.

11. believo macrumors regular

believo