Can you guys stop saying "oh my iPhone is faster/snappier and has a better battery"

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by Mr. RPG, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 6502a

with each new iOS update.

If you knew anything about programming and developing you would know that isn't realistic.

Your iPhone isn't getting any faster with each update.

You can't just "optimize" code after every update.. What are they doing, intentionally limiting you to what your iPhone can do and then raise the bar after every single, insignificant update? I swear, I see people saying "my iPhone is so much faster, thanks apple!". What the ***?

I swear, this reminds me of the "download more RAM" epidemic.

2. macrumors member

Cool story, bro.

3. macrumors G3

Renzatic

What are you talking about? I downloaded 3 megagigas of ram for my iPhone just the other day. It's so much faster now!

4. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I think the term you are looking for is "GeeBees"

5. macrumors P6

dukebound85

thanks for this thread op. it will surely solve the issue

6. TacticalDesire, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

As someone who has written programs (not going to call myself a developer) you can get your code/OS to run faster on the same hardware with an OS/software update. Look what Google did with 4.1. So its entirely possible. Not saying it happens with every OS/software update and I think these perceived performance improvements are mostly physiological but it can be done.

7. macrumors 68000

Uhh i have noticed that my i5 has ACTUALLY better performance then before. App store is smoother and doesnt stutter anymore on my i5, Maps doesnt stutter randomly anymore when I zoom in Maps and I start panning around. Music App loads faster then it did before on my i5. So yeah actually they did do some optimizations to the code because I actually notice a difference.

My wifi performance has went up aswell with iOS 6.1.

----------

Exactly, its ludicrous to think Apple absolutely did no optimizations in iOS 6.1, even if there pretty minute

8. macrumors 6502

Can you explain to me why you could not optimize your code after every update?

I want a detail answer that a developer would understand.

9. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

Can you stop making threads?

10. macrumors 65816

What a ludicrous claim. You've obviously NEVER even touched an Android phone on earlier versions of that OS and then upgraded to 4.1 Jelly Bean to see what a difference Google has made to the stability and fluidness of the OS. But again, what does Google know about coding, right???

And as for iOS, it is more than possible for Apple to optimize their code. There are many users saying that their i5 has no lag anymore doing certain tasks. You can always optimize code, fix bugs, refactor, etc. Actually, it's where a dev spends more time.

I highly advise you to stop making these childish, whiny threads and get your ass into a programming class.

11. macrumors 65816

When I went from 5.1.1 to 6.01, I noticed a large increase in speed via safari...

Im an EE major about to graduate and while Im not a programmer(I chose power), I took plenty of programming classes and found there are always ways of optimizing code to work with less CPU cycles...There is ALWAYS room for improvement. It all comes down to CPU cyles per instruction. You might not be able to make a CPU clock faster, but you CAN minimize CPU cycles needed for a particular function.

12. macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

WELL Said bro, also apple makes the hardware and software so they can really optimize they code to "just work with their devices" :apple: :D

13. macrumors 68000

Theres always room for improvement...i see performance enhancements from iOS 6.1 to mt i5 easily. My wifi performance is alot better on iOS 6.1 aswell and I have been using my phone for 45 mins on screen time and only 4% battery life went away so battery life is even better on iOS 6.1 aswell :)

14. macrumors regular

mmm.... okay. I seriously hope you're not a developer and if you are, then I would like to ask every one else to not judge us based on this guy, and I would suggest you go get some additional training maybe?

I am an iOS/OSX developer myself, manage about 20 apps on the app store right now. Working on app updates is pretty much all I do at this point, with no time left for new projects.

A typical update would look something like:
    - 25% new features
    - 50% bug fixes
    - 25% optimization of existing features, such as battery usage, faster animations and loading times, faster connections/reconnections, improved error handling for specific exceptions...

This would be a crime if their team was not continuously working on improving core OS features, which for a mobile wireless device would mostly be connectivity and battery usage.

Yes, a few of their guys work on meaningless things like the wallpaper, since some people like you think that's what an OS is all about, but believe me, most of those folks work on fixing and optimizing the core, which is not only essential for the current devices, but also to develop their new devices.

Have you heard about the future new iPad with the slim profile of the iPad mini, or the always slimmer iPhones? Those slim designs can't be achieved with the improvements in battery and processor technology alone, a good portion of the work is to optimize the software as well to require less and less battery to perform the same functions.

15. macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Since your a IOS developer I wanted to begin to develop app what books would you recommend? thanks in advance

16. macrumors regular

I am not sure I would be the best person to ask, I started programming 20 years ago, so I am not aware of the best beginners book out there.
    Do you have any programming experience and want to focus on iOS, or you have no background in programming and don't care about the platform (iOS, Mac, Windows, Android...)?

17. macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Nope I only read on book and that was IOS 5 beginners Guide by appress. So yes and no I just know the basics like making a simple app using CoreLocation Etc.

18. macrumors 68000

OP, you do realize that most of the people who say "safari seems snappier" after every update are just being facetious, right?

19. macrumors 65816

Safari was faster for me going from 5 to 6...I wasnt expecting this either, just noticed much faster web page load times despite my internet connection.

20. macrumors regular

If you've already made some Hello wold type app, I would say you can go two ways:
    - Do more and more of those simple apps, following youtube tutorials. Some of them are surprisingly good. It's a great way to learn more and more about the dev environment and techniques with fast results and without breaking the bank
    - I personally get books when they're good atemporal books, nothing worse than buying a book about iOS6 that will be obsolete in 2 months. Such a book is here http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Design-...9420051&sr=8-1&keywords=cocoa+design+patterns It's not the kinda book where you're going to learn where to click or what to write, but you will learn a lot about the theory and you would want to read that if you want to become a good programmer

21. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I reverse assembled the binary code and then refactored it into fortran using a plsql encrypted package originally ported from algol using yacc.

The microfocus cobol 64 version had some memory leaks but would be ok in a ipad with 128 gb so no worries thats the next iteration!

22. macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

Thanks but should I start learning objective C First in order to build apps? Thanks in advance

23. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

So you're arguing that Apple hasn't figured out any way to optimize better since the start of iOS? You're arguing that there's no possible way to improve how fast the App Store works, applications launch, and so forth?

That's a level of fanboy that just scares me.

24. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love how quick you guys are to defend yourselves and the Apple brand. :cool:

25. macrumors 6502

You're the one who's saying Apple somehow manages to have perfectly efficient code in every major release of iOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.