Can you have folders appear first, then files (ala XP)?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GodsHand, Aug 16, 2006.

1. GodsHand macrumors newbie

This is one thing I don't like about Finder is that Folders and Files sorted by name aren't separated. Is there a way to do this, aside from adding a • to the front of the folder name?

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Not that I know of. In my opinion, I'd rather have everything completely A-Z, but I've been using Macs for awhile now.

There are plenty of smart cookies on here, so I'm sure you'll get some sort of trick soon.

Daniel.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can just add a space in front of the folder name.

Or you can use a third-party Finder like PathFinder...I'm 99% it has that functionality built in. I haven't used it, but it usually gets rave reviews.

Those are the only options I know of.

4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Put the window you want sorted into list view, then click the "kind" column. Everything will be sorted by kind in alphabetical groups - e.g, all applications alphabetically then all folders alphabetically. I have my Applications folder set up this way.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's a help, but it still doesn't put them at the top if you have items with a "Kind" label that comes before "Folder," like "Alias" or "Document."

Something to consider though...

6. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If you hit the "kind" column again (to reverse the arrow) it will reverse sort so folders would be at the top (if that's what you want) provided there isn't another "kind" in the folder whose description starts with a letter after "f" (just off the top of my head, not many I can think of - plist is one so it wouldn't work for that type of sort in the preferences folder).

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Or a TextEdit file, or a log file, or a Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint document, or a PDF, etc... ;)

8. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

There's a way, I think it was in MacWorld or MacAddict magazine, so it has to be on the net somewhere. All I know is, it involves editing Finder .plist files to change something about the alphabetical order of folders... or something :p

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They are sorted by name, a simple one-item criteria. This is logical and predictable. Windows Explorer is using a special two-item criteria even though it claims to be one-item. Not truly logical and possibly confusing to the casual user. I don't think Finder should ever use this approach. I wouldn't mind if Finder had a multi-criteria sort, just make it obvious.