Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Adding more RAM will not adversely affect performance. The only thing that it will affect is your pocketbook if you add an exceedingly large amount of RAM that you'll never use.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
It's nvrenuf :p 8 gig now days is like a bare minimum, plus ram is soooo cheap now days. If you can afford to put more in defiantly do it. You can get another 8 gig for $40.

I decided to order machine with 8 from apple and i purchased another 16g so will have 24 gig once i put it in.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
It's nvrenuf :p 8 gig now days is like a bare minimum, plus ram is soooo cheap now days. If you can afford to put more in defiantly do it. You can get another 8 gig for $40.

I decided to order machine with 8 from apple and i purchased another 16g so will have 24 gig once i put it in.

You can get by on 2gb but 4gb is standard now :rolleyes:.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
:p 8 gig now days is like a bare minimum, plus ram is soooo cheap now days.

Not true, im running 4GB in my MBA and iMac with no issues. We were also only running 6GB in our production Macpros at work until recently. Most people think they need 16+ gigs of ram but the fact is 4GB is more then enough for most regular uses.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
The 2011 i bought from the shop, The guy at apple reseller said that if i am going to install ML then i should bump up the ram to 8 gig, as it only had 4 in it. I ended up just getting 8 gig over two sticks anyway giving me 12.

Photoshop uses all the nice ram anyway.

but is it true that mountain lion is more memory hungry ?

and with ram so cheap why wouldn't you give it a bit more. better to have it than not.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Most people don't even need 8gigs, but should you settle for less anyway?... no way! Fill her up! ;)

Layton10

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
I think so, because overloading is not good for any technology. So, everybody should use it sincerity because any time its trouble us, if we use extremely. Be careful.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
4GB is more then enough for most regular uses.
I don't know how you guys do it.
Not running Lion or Mountain Lion?
After I boot my machine, open safari with a few tabs, mail application, and a few background apps (dropbox, backup, etc etc...) I am pretty much already at 4Gb.
Then I start working, opening the few apps I need to do my thing, and my 8Gb is all maxed out...

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I don't know how you guys do it.
Not running Lion or Mountain Lion?
After I boot my machine, open safari with a few tabs, mail application, and a few background apps (dropbox, backup, etc etc...) I am pretty much already at 4Gb.
Then I start working, opening the few apps I need to do my thing, and my 8Gb is all maxed out...

I have firefox with 6 tabs open along with filezilla, itunes, mail, ps3 media server, twitterriffic, Chrome, iGetter, Xee, VLC, Deluge and cyberduck atm and i am only using 2.2GB... If you are running the Adobe suite then you start to need more then 4GB but for your average user 4GB is more then enough.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The main down side of excessive RAM is for laptops/desktops with smaller SSD as the memory image when going to sleep mode is around the same size as memory. Take also time to write and read from disk.

Beside that more RAM never really hurts beside money, energy bill and heat.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I have firefox with 6 tabs open along with filezilla, itunes, mail, ps3 media server, twitterriffic, Chrome, iGetter, Xee, VLC, Deluge and cyberduck atm and i am only using 2.2GB... If you are running the Adobe suite then you start to need more then 4GB but for your average user 4GB is more then enough.

Which OS?
How often do you reboot?
Did you disable Flash in firefox/chrome?

----------

for your average user 4GB is more then enough.

You can illustrate a general rule by an example, but you can't draw a conclusion from an example, it's a fallacy. All you can do from your own example is define some hypothesis.

"It works for you"+"you're an average user" NOT EQUAL to "it works for the average user"

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
i have a 2008 with 4GB ram. I keep about 20 tabs open in Chrome and a few in Safari, and also open others for testing sometimes. I keep photoshop open and also a few small apps (coda, terminal, etc) open all the time. My ram is consistently maxed out at around 3.8GB, which means I can't open anything else. I have to close chrome, safari and photoshop to open aperture. I have to close photoshop to open illustrator. I'm always fighting because for me 4GB is nowhere near enough.

I am maxing my new iMac out with 32GB, because in 3-4 years I don't want to be fighting like this again. Sure, 8GB is "enough" but somehow I doubt that will be the case in a few years.

6 years ago 2GB was enough. 10 years ago 1GB was more than enough in my G4 iMac (which came standard with 128/256MB)

zemzabob

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
If you use your imac hard like I do at least for me 4 gigs just won't do it, I'm bumping up to 32, is it over kill sure for now it is but I can afford it and I don't have to worry about ram for the rest of its life, of course unless it fails on me.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
7 Macs here. Two run Mountain Lion and have 8GB RAM. Activity monitor shows that's just fine even though I typically run a Windows virtual machine under Parallels, screen capture (iShowU HD), Keynote, Safari, and iMovie simultaneously. One runs Mountain Lion with 4 GB. An MBA that is basically only used for browsing runs ML with 2GB of RAM. A mini with Snow Leopard Server has 4 GB RAM. Two minis with Snow Leopard have 2GB of RAM and run Plex and occasionally Safari. None of these systems have memory problems.

So if you usage is light, 2GB is sufficient, even for Mountain Lion.

It's best to check your memory usage (particularly page outs over time) to determine if you need more memory. More memory costs money, increases boot (particularly POST) and sleep times, and takes more disk space for the sleep image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.