Can you hear the mosquito?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Jun 13, 2006.

?

Can you hear the sound?

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    89.9%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I know that some speakers can't reproduce the frequencies etc etc etc...but lets see.

The mosquito ringtone (http://www.moconews.net/the-mosquito-ringtone.html) is a 17khz sound that apparently teenagers and kids can hear, but adults can't. Can you?

Attached wav file.

edit: Another version, much more powerful, here (thanks felldownthewell)

edit2: A page with tones from 14khz-20khz here (thanks plinden)

Attached Files:

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Can you hurt your ears if you cant hear it but say turned your stereo up to the loudest it can. My brother can hear it hes 17 but my 10 year old bro cant. My dog was looking confused also.

I swear I think my ears hurt but I dont know if its because of this or I think my ears hurt lol

I am 21 and cant hear it

3. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

AHHHHH my ears! that hurts! :eek:

edit: dont use headphones!

edit 2: Ok, I just tried it again...(I know, Im an idiot)... but it wasnt that bad the second time.

4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Oh yeah - I head it.

High-pitched, but easy to hear...kind of annoying, actually, like sliding down your nails on a chalkboard.

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i decided to test this noise by playing it in a room with all my roommates (ages between 18-20). as soon as the noise was over one of them spoke up and said "what was that terrible noise?". this comment elicited sounds of agreement and bewilderment amongst the rest of my roommates, so i guess it would be safe to say that all 5 of us could hear it

i then told them the story of the mosquito noise and we continued the testing with a range of frequencies, each of us finding our personal threshold. interestingly enough even the slight variations in our ages (2 years at most) had an impact on the frequencies we could hear. with the younger people having the greatest range.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I had the volume turned up all the way on this PB, and I didn't hear a damn thing. :(

Edit: Ok I just now played it with the headphones on with the volume turned all the way up, and I could faintly hear it. This is very weird because the external speakers on this PB are usually extremely loud; however, the Bose headphones were able to pick up the sound. :)

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'm 32 and heard it. Not loudly though. I also more felt it than heard it. I wish I could describe it.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I heard it easily, it sounded like a TV on mute. It's interesting to find out some people can faintly hear it. I've always wondered whether frequency hearing loss was an all or nothing phenomena. Apparently it's not. :cool:

10. TrashCanDan macrumors member

11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

definitely heard it, and it was definitely painful...

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Can hear it. Don't like it much.

13. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I've been accused of lacking many attributes in my persona, but frequency loss? That's a low blow! :)

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have to come down on the "not hearing" side, with a caveat: Although I really didn't hear much, my ears hurt and I knew when it began and ended.

I would probably be able to learn to answer my phone with it - though I wouldn't want to.

I am 30. However, I had two operations as a child for fluid build-up behind my eardrums, so the subsequent minor scarring has always rendered my hearing somewhat patchy...

15. UberMac macrumors 6502

Ah! So this is what everyone has been talking about! I can hear it, like madjew said, it sounds a lot like a TV on mute.

Uber

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I thought it sounded like something familiar.

Although the noise was more annoying then the t.v on mute.

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I hear it and it annoys me. Just like mosquitos. And I'm 40 today. Maybe I could have heard dog whistles when I was 20. ;)

18. riciad macrumors 6502

Can't hear a thing and although I'm getting on in years my hearing is usually fantastic.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, FWIW, I used headphones. Did you (or non-computer speakers)? Otherwise, your speakers might not be able to reproduce that frequency.

20. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it sounds like electricity, if that makes any sense. like when nothing's making any noise but you can hear your turned-off computers and tv's. or maybe that's just me. and like a couple of people, i felt it as well as heard it. it made me sort of dizzy...i'll stick to my current ringtone.

21. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Yepp, I can hear it. So could my sister, but my parents cant.

I think thats really cool! :)

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm 28 and I heard it, but I had to turn up the volume on my Mac to half, and even then it was just a small but very noticable change in "noise". When it'd played for a couple of seconds, I couldn't tell the difference from normal background noise, when it ended I felt the change in "noise" again.

Edit: I listened to it again, I can tell it's there all the way, but it's quite faint.

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah I could hear it easily, my mum didn't hear it at all. Reminds me of those sonic pest-control things that people have to keep ants/mice etc away. My aunty has one and whenever I'm at her place I have to turn it off because the high pitched beeping annoys me - she thinks I'm crazy because she can't hear it.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm 36, and I can just hear it just at the start, then it fades away, but I do feel it in my guts, and it's almost making me nauseous... :mad:

25. darrengreer macrumors regular

I actually tried this at work.

My friend, who is 28, can hear it really well, and it hurts his ears pretty bad.

Myself, who is 30, can her it pretty well, and it annoys me.

My manager, who is 40, can only hear it if I crank it up real loud, and it doesn't bug him that bad.

My other manager, who is around 46, can also only here it if I crank it up, and again, doesn't bug him so much.