Can you help me out with my Darwinports installation?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Feb 21, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey all,

So i can't figure out why my Darwinports install won't work... Well, I can't seem to get get past the install. So i'm using the directions found here:
    http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/docs/ch01s03.html#install_dports

My problem arises when I get to the step where I type "./configure" at the command line. When I do so, I get the long string of output, but this at the end...

Please install the X11 SDK packages from the
    Xcode Developer Tools CD
    configure: error: Broken X11 install. No X11 headers

So... First, I re-installed X11. Then I installed XCode Tools v1.5 from the ADC Apple website. I restarted the computer. Re-ran the "./configure" and still the same result. I searched the forum, but I couldn't find much of relevance. Any ideas???

-Kevin

2. isgoed macrumors 6502

I have darwinports installed. I can't remember how I did it, but do know that no problems arose. Most likely I just followed the insturctions in the 'readme'-file (configure-make-install), which you seem to do.

My advise is check if X11 works. Just launch the 'X11'-application which is in the folder 'utilities'. If it doesn't, reinstall.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah X11 totally works. I use it for SSHing into my school's computer lab in order for me to do homeworking my computer science classes. Also I have had OpenOffice.org installed in the past which uses X11 as its window manager.
    -Kevin

4. blaster_boy macrumors 6502

blaster_boy

I think it's complaining about not having the X11 development headers. You probably installed X11 as a binary package, and not the X11 sources.

What it actually looking for is the the X11 source package (or just the headers) - I don't know if you are installing a particular package or just trying to install the darwinports itself, but it seems to want to build a package that needs X11. In order to use your installed X11, it needs to build itself with the same source, or at least use the source headers when it compiles itself.

On the apple website I think you can find the X11 developer package as well.

Hope this helps,

Alex

5. grimjim macrumors member

X11 SDK

You will indeed need to install the X11 SDK. If memory serves, it's available as a package on your XCode install CD. Go to the Packages folder on the XCode CD and double-click on X11SDK.pkg file. Run the installer and then try building your Darwinports package again.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Grim ^^ is correct. The X11 SDK is a separate package on the Xcode CD; it is *not* installed my default, whether you have X11.app install or not.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Does anyone have a link to the SDK? I could only find one version, listed to be at version beta 3. When I try to install it, it tells me that I have a newer version of the software already installed...
    -Kevin

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Go to the Apple site, click the Developer tab, register, then go to the development tools download. You want Xcode 1.5. The X11 SDK should be in the disk image.