Can you Help me? PB/PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rams, Oct 25, 2004.

1. rams macrumors member

A few weeks ago, my PBook has been stolen on a party. Now i got nearly the the full price of my pb back from my insurance.

My old powerbook g4/550mhz was to slow to work on it, so i bought (because i am not a rich guy) a desktop-replacement toshiba notebook with 3ghz and installed gentoo linux on it. The speed is great.

But you know, PC sucks. The Laptop produces too much heat, and does a power off sometime.

Now with the money, i can buy a new pc mobile laptop with great speed and so on or a powerbook..

my question is now: is the powerbook fast enough to work on it ? if i cant run photoshop or gimp, a cool ide like project builder, firefox , safari AND itunes of course with a nice speed, i can't buy a powerbook because of the fact, that it doesnt fit my req.
    I would love to work again on a mac, but if it is not fast enough - i will wait or buy a g5 desktop which is not an ideal thing, because i work on more than one place. my toshiba does the job - but i am really not happy with it.

what sould i buy ?

:confused:

2. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

Get a PowerBook G4 1.5GHz, macintosh's processors are unique, they have a really good architecture, and only have 7 Pipeline Stages! Plus MAC OSX is built on UNIX, the most strongest operating system(s). Thats all I know! But get a PowerBook its way betta than LapTops.

3. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Here's my setup

Hello, let me answer some of the concerns you expressed here:
    Here's what I do with my partly maxed-out 15'' Rev.C Powerbook (1Gig ram, 5400 RPM hd, 128M VRAM).

• I program Java for a living using Eclipse on multiple projects
    • Share code with multiple persons using SubVersion
    • Write docs / do PM reporting with word/excel
    • Debug JSP websites with Safari / Firefox and IE under Virtual PC
    • Edit some images in PhotoShop (mostly cropping/resizing, i'm no artist)
    • Roll my own version of Apache with some custom modules
    • Run Jakarta Tomcat
    • Code websites in PHP / JSP
    • Use ssh a lot
    • Rock it out with GarageBand
    • all of the above while iTunes is running on the background playing some led zep :D

If you have the money, go for the powerbook, this is an awesome machine, I never regretted my switch in the last 5 months (already! woooooot).

Oh, just one thing : you won't get to play recent games on your Mac. Get Used To It And Buy A GameCube (so you'll have two ati cards and two g4s :) )

EDIT: forgot to tell you that the 1.5 PB heats like crazy. Seriously, I mean it, never use it on your lap more than 15 minutes in a row, put something in between (a cushion does the trick)

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Good news: current PBs are fast.

It sounds like you want to run a ton of intensive applications at once, in which case you'll probably want 1 gig of memory. Processor speed really doesn't have much to do with how many things you can run at once.

My boyfriend uses a G4 / 550 Mhz, and yes, that thing is slow. By contrast, my G4 / 1.5 Ghz really flies. Applications launch in about two seconds, at most. I can't tell you enough, it is really snappy (in my opinion).

I have 512 MB RAM, but I can run many programs simultaneously without seeing any performance problems whatsoever. In fact, right now I have 15 programs open, and everything is peachy.

If you really want to wait, there is a dual-core processor that could possibly find its way into a PB revision (though Apple has said no new PBs until 2005). Really though, the PBs now are much faster than what you've previously been acquainted with.

5. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

StrongBad couldn't have said it better!

Right on, amongst all of the strongest of operating system(s), UNIX sure is the strongester! :rolleyes:

ps: You're actually right, UNIX kicks ass, if you're a coder you should already know that :)

6. rams thread starter macrumors member

OK THANKS GUYS! :)

i go and buy this one :)

• 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory
    • 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 2x256 SO-DIMMs
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • 15.2-inch TFT Display

if 512mb ram is not enough, i will upgrade this..

but thank god, it is fast enough :) :p :D

7. rams thread starter macrumors member

i really know and love that :)

8. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Welcome aboard matey!

I was lying, I have one regret about the setup (same as yours)

I later bought two extra 512M stick, and now have 2x256 sticks unused.

I eventually found a way to get rid of one of them: Buying my GF a 12'' iBook with an empty slot :)

9. rams thread starter macrumors member

10. verces macrumors member

Attention

Just so you know, you can get Mac OS X Firefox. ;) Don't need that Virtual rubbish.