Can you help me work out what this is?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomcoolj, Sep 12, 2011.

1. macrumors member

This is a logic board with two PowerPC Motorola Processors.

Its a dual 1.25GHz.

Do you what it is from? I can't work it out

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 68040

666sheep

This is a CPU daughtercard, not logic board.
    I'd risk a statement that it's from PowerMac G4 Mirrored Drive Door Dual 1.25 GHz... :p
    ...and it's probably dead, judging by a red dot in bottom left corner (on the pic).

3. macrumors 68000

Nameci

I second it, it is a CPU daughter card from dual processor Powermac G4. The logic board is the "motherboard" in current and "PC" terms. The CPU chips are soldered on the CPU daughter card/board on which it is socketed into the logic board. Common Intel chips on "PC" are socketed into the motherboard while the ones on Apple are soldered direct to the logic board to reduce mechanical height and keep the outline thin.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for letting me know. At one point I thought I had a 1.25GHz Dual Mac Mini board...

5. macrumors 68020

zen.state

That's exactly what it is. Seen them dozens of times for service and used to own 2x MDD. It even says on the label it's a dual 1.25GHz.

6. macrumors 68040

666sheep

OP, next time just google number printed on the PCB (820-1470-A) or on the sticker with barcode :)

7. macrumors 68020

zen.state

There never was a dual CPU G4 mini. The mini's even used a totally different G4 chip (7447) because the 7455 chips on these daughter cards are too hot for the small mini case. Even 1x 7455 CPU would be too hot for a mini.

Even the Intel mini are not dual CPU. Dual core yes but not dual CPU.

8. thread starter macrumors member

I couldn't see an Apple part number on the board, this is why I posted the picture on the forums

9. macrumors 68000

I watched the following one on Ebay (unfortunately I didn't win it), it looks like a Sawtooth Board with a Quicksilver CPU, right? What would you say is the CPU from, or is it even an upgrade?

Attached Files:

10. macrumors 68020

zen.state

I can tell by looking at it that it's a Powerlogix G4 upgrade CPU. The copper heatsink is the giveaway.

I can also tell it is a Gigabit Ethernet model G4 tower by the sticker near the Airport card slot. The Sawtooth and Gigabit models are the only ones to place the CPU on that area of the logic board also.

11. macrumors 68000

Oh, what a pitty! It went for 13,50EUR and was declared as defective. But it was obvious that the seller had no knowledge, because he said the CPU had 400MHz and the Ram he did not know. He probably had read the 400 from the sticker on the back. :)

12. Tyroler, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

macrumors member

Tyroler

13. macrumors 68000

Well, I guess from the picture one can't tell what MHz/GHz it has, I am sure they made same looking ones with different MHz/GHz numbers (I am pretty sure there was even a 2x 1,8GHz, as far as I remeber from lowendmac.com).

I got another lucky buy on Ebay though. Not that cheap as the one with the powerlogixx + Sonnet USB2 Card, but very nice indeed, I'd say.

I got one for 71eur including shipping, with Acard 2x SATA Controller (the model with 4! switches for raid and so on) and a 2x1,8GHz Sonnet CPU. (Plus 3x256MB RAM and the rest of minor interest).
    Another one I got for 20EUR with an ATI 9200 AGP (a flashed one with small form faktor, nice for Cubes), plus a Sonnet 1,2GHz, with passive cooler, a DVD-DL Drive and 3x 512MB RAM and the a bit rare HDD-"bracket".

I think I got a good price (it was declared defective, too), but there is still something I am looking for: a quieter, cooler and less power hungry CPU upgrade with the same or more power. I will try to get a hand on a sonnet 1x1,8GHz (other chip than 2x1,8GHz), since powerlogix upgrades are rare on EBay.

14. macrumors 68000

saw the following on Ebay. It looks quiet funny with the "tupper ware" :) Does anyone know, what the tupperware is?

Attached Files:

• mac.jpg
      mac.jpg
      File size:
      334.2 KB
      Views:
  15. macrumors 68020

zen.state

Thats a Digital Audio tower and the plastic over the heatsink is part of the cooling system.

What are the full specs and price?

16. macrumors 65816

adcx64

whats the purpose of that plastic cover? wouldnt that restict airflow?

17. macrumors 68000

I too thought, that it must be a D/A, but was wondering about the plastic cover as well.

As often with Ebay, the seller did not know the specs. He said on the sticker on the back it says 350MHz. Which would be impossible, I think.
    I did contact the seller after the auction (though I did not buy it) and he said, the bidder has allready told him, that it is at least a 400MHz one, and he will tell him, when he has received the item and launched the OS.

Maybe the plastic is DIY...

Here is the link http://www.ebay.de/itm/Apple-Power-...38402140?pt=Apple_Systeme&hash=item2a14d9275c

18. macrumors 68040

666sheep

19. macrumors 68020

zen.state

I guess the idea in the engineering here was to keep most of the heatsink heat from going into the case. There is a 50-60mm fan at the back that exhausts the heat out of the case. You can see the fan in the pic on the page 666sheep gave the link for. Some Quicksilvers have them also.