Can you hook a 20" AL Display to an iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mashinhead, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

can you do this??? if so how?? using VGA? but then its not dual right, just translating your screen to the 20"

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Yes you can. You have to use a hack however. It hacks the video card firmware set into place by apple to distinguish the Powerbook from the ibook. If you wanna run JUST the screen and close the iBook's lid, that might cause some problems in the long run. TO find the hack - either search the forums (genius idea) or search the internet.

kyle

3. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

yes you can using the spanning doctor hack. but you'll void your warranty. without the hack, the screen will be mirrored with 1024x768 resolution.

4. paco taco mike macrumors member

paco taco mike

with a vga connection though, wouldn't you have to buy a convertor? and last i looked up i think convertors were 400+ dollars. I could be completely wrong, but i am pretty sure that's what needs to be done in order to hook up your ibook to a 20" Aluminum display

-mike

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Um - I suspect the previous two posters are forgetting that the Cinema display only has a DVI input - whereas the iBook is VGA.

Basically, no you can't. You could, however, (providing your iBook is sufficiently recent to support the resolution) connect it to the VGA input on a Dell 2005WFP, which uses the same panel as the 20" ACD. Screen spanning doctor (as mentioned by a previous poster) will allow you to use the full resolution of the screen

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

whoops! i totally forgot. Ya, so basically you are screwed. I hope you haven't purchased that monitor yet!

7. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

what he said :eek:

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

9. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Debatable, to say the least. The hack may be removed by zapping the PRAM (Option+Command+P+R at startup) before sending computer to Apple.

10. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

I went by the apple store and asked them about this and they said that all it can do is mirror the ibook. resolution and all does that mean that it will still fill up 20" as opposed to the 12 i have now, and will screen spanning doctor correct that.

has anyone used that before, i hear its hard to make work.

11. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Well at the Apple they are not going to promote hacks for their systems are they... ;)

As long as the iBooks Video card can handle the 1680x1050 resolution then it will work fine with the spanning doctor hack. Just make sure you get the Dell monitor instead of the apple monitor as the apple monitor would require a $400 convertor plus the dell monitor is only $450 US!