Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I was wondering if it was possible to hook a mac directly up to another mac. If you can, what kind of plug do you use? A RJ45 cable (ethernet) or what?

I always thought you can use a firewire cable to hook them up, but the ends are different so I guess not :p

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
You can hook up two Macs with a firewire cable. How to link. . You may need a different firewire cable.

It is easier to use a crossover cable (or if they are modern Macs, a regular ethernet cable as the ethernet ports can auto-detect) and setup file sharing and share files that way.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
If you are hooking up two macs that support Gigabit Ethernet, just use an RJ45 cable. If not, go Firewire. Those are your fastest routes.

PaisanoMan

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2003
Originally posted by tomf87
If you are hooking up two macs that support Gigabit Ethernet, just use an RJ45 cable. If not, go Firewire. Those are your fastest routes.

If you use FireWire Target Disk mode, just don't forget to unmount the Mac before you pull the plug -- you risk corrupting your disk if you do.

Otherwise, it's practically foolproof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.