Can You Identify These Cars?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Squire, May 21, 2004.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Car #1
    So, I'm driving along on the highway the other day and up ahead, I see a silver Porsche Boxster. As I got closer, I realized it was a Toyota MR-Spyder, not a Boxster. After slowly passing it, I glanced in my rearview mirror and saw no Toyota logo on the hood. A Lotus Elise, I thought, then dismissed that after checking out pics on the Net. Can any of you think of what this mystery car might have been?

Car #2
    I pulled through the tollgate near my house and noticed what I thought was a silver Lexus IS behind me. It passed me and it wasn't an IS. It was a little larger and looked a lot like a Cadillac CTS. There were no model names or logos on the back. The taillights, though, were encased in clear plastic. It still had dealer plates. Can any of you think of what this mystery car might have been?

Thanks for your help.

Squire

2. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

OK...After searching extensively on the Net, I've found the culprit: an MR-2 Spyder with the front badge removed. (I don't know what logo buddy put on to replace Toyota's.) I got the pic off a used car site on the Internet. What are the chances of that?

So the first part of this thread could turn into a discussion of open-top sports cars.

Squire

Attached Files:

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

The second car is probably a modified honda of some sorts....even with the dealer plates.

In regards to the first car, it's not uncommon for people to pull off the name tags on the front of the cars.

BEN

4. dopefiend macrumors 6502

5. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

No, good call, though. I had to check the Acura site for a second. I thought it could've been a new TL.

Yeah, I suppose. That was quite common over here during the economic crisis (circa '98). Some paranoid people were worried about their foreign cars getting vandalized.

Squire

6. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

No, it was a mid-sized 4-door sedan. It looked like a CTS except that the taillights were clear (see pic) and there was no model designation on the rear. My guess is that it was a newer model because of the dealer plates (and the fact that I usually try to keep fairly up-to-date).

I dunno. Maybe it was a CTS with a modified rear end. Or possibly a Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo prototype.

Squire

Attached Files:

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if it has those euro type of lights i would first guess a nissan maxima or altima.

iJon

8. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

You know what...that's exactly what it was. It was a 2005 Altima with the Nissan logo and Altima name missing off the back. (Or a Japanese version of the same car. Is there such a beast and is it also called the Altima?) Good call, Jon. They are pretty smokin' cars, by the way. Nissan/Infiniti have made quite a comeback from a few years ago. Have any of you driven any of their latest offerings?

Squire

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

From what I've read, the Maxima and Altima are built from the same basic car. The Maxima had been the Bluebird in Japan. (Why is there no Minima?) The Bluebird Slyphy doesn't look that close to my eyes, but I'm probably looking too closely.

Here's the page: http://www.nissan.co.jp/CARLINEUP/index1.html

For those who don't read Japanese, the models shown are: President, Cima (Q45), Cedric (go Niiro!), Gloria (4 door now?), Teana, Skyline, Primera (G20), Bluebird Slyphy, and Sunny (Sentra).

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the maxima's are pretty impressive, i just dont like the look. they would be fine other than the euro style clear lights, i hate those. i would still take an acura tl or a 2005 rl over it. i do like the z roadsters and i am also interested in the new nissan titan. was watching the commercial and i was pretty impressed from what i saw. nice ground clearance, rancho shocks, 33" tires. looked impressive, me being a 4x4 jeep guy now.

iJon

11. pinto32 macrumors 6502

33 inch tires??? is that even street legal???

12. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I like chrysler's new Bentley... I mean 300. It sure does look like a bentley though. A 340-hp 5.7 liter V8 Hemi!!! Wish I had 30 grand to blow.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Your comment caught my eye.

A few years ago, I had many pilot buddies who drove the Nissan 300ZX. For them, it was a macho thing.

After coming to Japan, and seeing the same car called a Fairlady, I couldn't resist asking them how their Fairlady was doing? The look on their faces was definitely worth a Kodak moment.

For a while I drove a Matsuda Luce. In the states, it was known as the Mazda 626.

But cars are not the only ones with different naming conventions. US Movie names many times are renamed for Japan. One movie that comes to mind is, "Firebirds". In Japan it was known as, "Apache" (pronounced like, "A Patch"). Funny! At least in this case, the Japanese version was similar to the US version in meaning. In some cases, you have no idea. Thank God for cover art.

Sushi

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sure, lots of jeeps and stuff out there have 33" tires or larger. the new jeep rescue concept comes stock with 37's.

iJon

15. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

yeah but the rescues just a concept right now i wish it wasnt those are awesome

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh i wish it wasnt either, its such a beautiful car and i want one so bad.

iJon

17. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

Same here, except minus the funny twist. The Hyundai Tiburon's name was changed to Tuscani after its last facelift. With movies (for the most part, at least), the name is either the same as in English- except written in Korean characters- or a translation of the English name. One notable exception, however, was the Bond flick The World is Not Enough. Over here it was called Unlimited.

Squire