Can you imagine a USB record player?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr. MacBook, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Lol, can you imagine if some 80's company came back after being stranded on a desert island for 27 years, thought they still used records, looked at computers, and made a external record player?

Awesome.

2. phidauex macrumors member

Um, they have these! Denon and Numark both make turntables with integrated ADCs that output optical or coaxial digital audio.

Mine doesn't have a built in ADC, but it goes through an external ADC, and into my computers via optical. Sounds great. Its a Technics 1301 quartz-lock direct drive, with the s-arm and a Grado Green cart.

Vinyl is actually coming back. Record sales have been up every year since 2003, and increase by a greater amount every year. I buy quite a bit of brand-new (not used or NOS) vinyl each year. I love itunes and MP3s, but I have an 'easy come, easy go' outlook on it... It doesn't feel real or permanent. Its the same every time. That has value, so I use it all the time. But I like the more organic experience of the turn table. You can touch and feel the music. Each time you play it, it sounds a little different than the time before. It makes me cherish each playback. iTunes just sits and plays in the background. But when I put on a good record, I have a seat, and really listen, because I know that it is a finite resource.

So anyway. Computers + Turntables = happy mix of technology.

peace,
    sam

3. Gerg macrumors regular

I bought a nice unit this XMas for my mother to start converting her vinyl collection over.

Ion USB Turntable