Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Is it possible to go cache hunting with the iPhone? For example, if I had a set of coordinates, how would I enter them into my iPhone?

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
Yes, for example in the Maps app on the iPhone if you enter in the search "loc: 40.748342, -73.984606" it will drop a pin directly on the Empire State Building.

Edit: Actually, you don't need to put "loc:" in front of the coordinates.

attachment.php

Attachments

• esb.jpg
    esb.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 84,034

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Well I guess you can, because when we had the fake jailbroken navigation it would put in coordinates on the maps search. And if you want to try it just put in the search the Latitude a comma then the Longitude. So it would be like this 40.823655, -73.810994 or like this N40°49.4193, W073°48.65964 these are real coordinates in bronx,ny so try these out and tell me if it comes up.

lagavulin

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
How to calculate coordinates

How do you calculate the real coordinates to the ones you put into the iphone?

I divided it with 0.6 and got the right result with the example in Bronx, but when I tried the same thing with the first example, Empire state building. It didn't match, I got something and then ,232452352345 and that I couldn't be put into the phone. I calculated the other way and the number I got back is 0,595........

stupid gps, why not make it possible to enter real coordinates. That would be helpful when you are out fishing or in the alps....and someone wants to find you, then you can give them your coordinates and the enter them in the iPhone and get the best route

bredell

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
How do you calculate the real coordinates to the ones you put into the iphone?

I divided it with 0.6 and got the right result with the example in Bronx, but when I tried the same thing with the first example, Empire state building. It didn't match, I got something and then ,232452352345 and that I couldn't be put into the phone. I calculated the other way and the number I got back is 0,595........

stupid gps, why not make it possible to enter real coordinates. That would be helpful when you are out fishing or in the alps....and someone wants to find you, then you can give them your coordinates and the enter them in the iPhone and get the best route

Well, what do you consider being "real" coordinates? Using the decimal form is more natural. Anyway, the system with minutes and seconds uses 60 as a number base, so if you have the following coordinate:

D° M' S"

then the coordinate will be

D + (M/60) + (S/3600)

Edit:

Actually, a bit of experimenting shows that you can enter coordinates in either format. Doing a search for the string +40 44' 54.03", -73 59' 4.58" gives you the Empire State Building in the example above. My keyboard doesn't have the degrees symbol but fortunately it seems that the Maps application doesn't need it.

Stocktrader

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Just Deg Min Sec with spaces:
40 46 49 -73 58 08 will put you in Central Park (by the theater).

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I thought there was a geocache app already? If not, there might be a web app that can more easily put in the location by a spin wheel for the lat longs.

Not working for me

I've been messing around with it for the last 30+ minutes and I am not able to enter co-ordinates using the digital format, at least not enter any that the iPhone or Google maps on the iPhone does. I even copied co-ordinates from google maps online. Any suggestions? I dont want to have to calculate my co-ordinates each time which is real lame since Google online doesn't use that format.

I found this link, perhaps we can send the creator of the program $.50 or a $1 or more since this is the only user friendly and working converter I found on the web: http://www.cosports.com/index.php/tool/tools/latlong

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Just Deg Min Sec with spaces:
40 46 49 -73 58 08 will put you in Central Park (by the theater).

That actually worked perfect for me, I typed it into the map application just like you have it and it took me to central park where it showed the coordinates to be:
+40° 46' 49.00", -73° 58' 8.00"

michaelmaxwell2 said:
So it would be like this 40.823655, -73.810994 or like this N40°49.4193, W073°48.65964 these are real coordinates in bronx,ny so try these out and tell me if it comes up.

These did not work for me at all.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
so if you can input coordinates, how can you retrieve the coordinates of where you are?

Try the applications "Here I Am"

(There are 2 named that, but I think they both work the same way, so it probably doesn't matter which you pick. I have the one with the blue icon, for what it's worth.)

It finds your coordinates and sends them to Mail as a google-map link. You then e-mail that to someone. The point is, it shows the numbers BEFORE you send it to Mail, so you can just use it to get the numbers, and then not e-mail anyone.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Can you get the coordinates of where you currently are without any other apps?

neiljcrump

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
Use @ sign.

I've been trying to search maps by decimal coordinates. It originally worked using Facebook places. Then I just started searching by decimal, but had to input it like this...
@38.211794,-84.248500
Using the @ symbol, then comma, dash- and long
Hope this helps!

warrmr

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Nipz, no.

Actually you can,

The built in compass app has the coords display at the bottom

EDIT: I have just noticed how old this thread is. What is the deal with people digging up dead threads.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    123.5 KB · Views: 81,164

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I like the fact this thread is digged up because I like the tips given here :)

The method of straight entering the decimal coordinates as well as deg/min/sec both work for me.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Great tips in this thread, and I know that this is an old one, but in response to the OP (or others using their iPhone for Geocaching), I highly recommend the official Groundspeak Geocaching app, it allows for this as well as paperless caching with field notes. Best $9.99 I've spent in the app store in the 2 years since the store launched.

jkutsch

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Oahu, Hawaii
Great tips in this thread, and I know that this is an old one, but in response to the OP (or others using their iPhone for Geocaching), I highly recommend the official Groundspeak Geocaching app, it allows for this as well as paperless caching with field notes. Best $9.99 I've spent in the app store in the 2 years since the store launched.

I agree! I dont even use my handheld GPS for caching anymore. Just my 3GS and my wife's IP4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.