Can you install 0S9 on ext. FW HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GrizzlyHippo, Oct 9, 2003.

1. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

OK, does anyone know if you can install OS9 Classic on an external FW hardrive?

I don't really want Classic on the internal HD of my new PB (arriving Monday?) but do still have some legacy software that I'd like to use once in a blue moon. Therefore I'd like to install it on my Weibetech external 80Gb drive.

Internal drive will be the 60Gb 7200rpm Hitachi and the OEM 80Gb 4200rpm drive is going into the Weibetech FW case.

So, can it be done or does OSX need to have Classic on an internal drive?

Cheers,
    Grizzly:confused:

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

In system prefs classic you can specify which OS 9 folder, and it can be on a seperate drive.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yes. I only say this because I installed OS 9 on my iPod and booted off of it. I only did it briefly to see if I could, and because I had to install Toast under OS 9 (then I moved it to OS X and patched it up). So it does work. I wouldn't recommend doing this long term on an iPod but on a firewire drive it should be just fine.

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Re: Can you install 0S9 on ext. FW HD?

Yes and maybe No.

Yes, you can boot in OS 9 from any bootable device (FW drive, iPod, etc..).

But I never managed to install OS 9 on a different partition (let alone drive) than the one holding OS X. This is a major issue for me with the iBook software installation disks (Jaguar). :mad:

If anyone has a way around this, I'd be really happy.

5. GrizzlyHippo thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for your input guys.

Grizzly