Can you install Office more than once?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millerrh, Dec 27, 2006.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2005
    I am trying to sell an old copy of Microsoft Office on eBay that I no longer use, however it was installed once before on my old Mac. One of the potential buyers just told me that once the serial number is used, the software cannot be installed again. Can this be true? I've never not been able to reinstall software in my life before.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    No it is not true, there is no serial number lockout.

To sell the software, you must include the CD and the serial and license, and deinstall it from your machine, of course.

Education, Academic and Not For Resale software cannot be sold, or transferred.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    To my knowledge for existing versions of Office to date, your legal and practical obligation are as follows:

Delete it from your computer and destroy any copies you retain
    Send them your copy with the key.

The way the key verification works, as far as I know, is that:

1) the key's checked for validity and then also against ones widely pirated on the net
    2) if a computer on the intranet is using the same key and running the program, the Office product will refuse to run.

I think there's even a way to delete the key from your computer, but I don't think it has any practical implications... the key check only works when the other computers are also running Office off the same key.
  4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    It also uses update to look for these at times, as such I would suggest you use littlesnitch, which is awesome and should be a matter of every day use anyway.
  5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    If it's the student and teacher edition you can also install it on up to 3 computers, but can't sell it, for $50/licence that makes it a pretty good deal.