Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
How can you make the iPod Touch (G4) into Apple TV?

Not expecting it to be exactly like ATV, but to get most of the functionality.
I have an Apple base with remote.

Thanks

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
How can you make the iPod Touch (G4) into Apple TV?

Not expecting it to be exactly like ATV, but to get most of the functionality.
I have an Apple base with remote.

Thanks

Sorry, no idea, just find it ironic your screen name is "PracticalMac" and you're asking a question that's completely impractical.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Well Apple makes a composite video output for $39, but it only outputs Standard Definition video and analogue audio. There might be some 3rd party HD outputs.

But you’d still have to have it attached to the TV - no remote control. It would be a pretty poor substitute, in my opinion.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Sorry, no idea, just find it ironic your screen name is "PracticalMac" and you're asking a question that's completely impractical.

iPT has the same iOS and chip as ATV, and iPT does have 720p out, so it has all the hardware. You can watch video, iTunes, and streaming Netflix/hulu/etc, so it is more then capable.

Well Apple makes a composite video output for $39, but it only outputs Standard Definition video and analogue audio. There might be some 3rd party HD outputs.

But you’d still have to have it attached to the TV - no remote control. It would be a pretty poor substitute, in my opinion.

Their are bases with remote controls, but the stock control does not have all the controls like ATV. Looking for better remote.

Can't do much about 720P, but better then a 3.5" screen :p

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
iPT has the same iOS and chip as ATV, and iPT does have 720p out, so it has all the hardware. You can watch video, iTunes, and streaming Netflix/hulu/etc, so it is more then capable.

Their are bases with remote controls, but the stock control does not have all the controls like ATV. Looking for better remote.

Can't do much about 720P, but better then a 3.5" screen :p

Why not just buy an Apple TV, then? In fact, I'm selling a 1G Apple TV. There ya go.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
That's dumb.
I could drop iPT into cradle, grab remote, and spend that $99 on movies.

lol, okay man. First, I said a 1G (first gen) Apple TV. Nobody would pay $99 for it. Second, I guess if you have time to burn configuring this stuff, go for it and think you saved money somehow. How much is an iPod Touch? $199? Wait, you're going to say, "but I already have it!" Yeah, but you still spent $199 on it.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
lol, okay man. First, I said a 1G (first gen) Apple TV. Nobody would pay $99 for it. Second, I guess if you have time to burn configuring this stuff, go for it and think you saved money somehow. How much is an iPod Touch? $199? Wait, you're going to say, "but I already have it!" Yeah, but you still spent $199 on it.

The iPT was the first iOS product I bought, since then I have got an iPhone and iPad (one every year).

I do not use the iPT as much as I did, so I am looking for other ways to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.