Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
ok I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_slurs

I thought it was pretty cool, I'm no racist, the thing has virtually every race, so it's ok for all of us to enjoy it.

now what I wanna know is, can somebody make this into a widget? "Racial Slur of the day" I have my dictionary that gives me word of the day, now this thing here would be just too cool...if someone is thinking of making this, an interface like this http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/reference/wordoftheday.html it looks nice and clean. And please, don't take this the wrong way, it's humor, most of those terms have no truth in them, but it's nice to have an idea of such things.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Cause nothing starts the day off like a racial slur!

I don't think it would be too easy as there is no RSS link for the wikipedia page. Otherwise it would have just been a case of taking apart the "Word of the Day" widget and replacing the web link.

Maybe somebody else has more know how.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
munkle said:
Cause nothing starts the day off like a racial slur!

I don't think it would be too easy as there is no RSS link for the wikipedia page. Otherwise it would have just been a case of taking apart the "Word of the Day" widget and replacing the web link.

Maybe somebody else has more know how.

can't there be a widget which stores all of these terms in the hard drive? so no need for an RSS feed or an internet connection, it simply pulls them for your mac...I'm no expert, but all you pros out there, chime in

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Jericho2550 said:
I thought it was pretty cool, I'm no racist, the thing has virtually every race, so it's ok for all of us to enjoy it.

There is no disputing that every group is roasted withn that lengthy listing ... how cool or amusing it is will vary widely for a multitude of reasons.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I wonder how long it would take the people in your office to realise you were being equally offensive to all groups and see the irony and humour to you your new daily slur each day?:rolleyes:

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
mpw said:
I wonder how long it would take the people in your office to realise you were being equally offensive to all groups and see the irony and humour to you your new daily slur each day?:rolleyes:
lol maybe you're right, so just in case we may need a timer, where you can have the option that it refreshes every 10 seconds...

appletimeuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2005
No offense.. even though it's a "joke".. I think it's sad there are people out there that are interested in reading this for a joke. I'm not trying to bring an argument.. this can go on forever.. just felt like commenting after reading.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
EricNau said:
I find it pathetic that anyone would want to see a new racial slur every day.

It is simply offensive; to everyone.

do me a favor and use the forum search function to search for "Dave Chappelle" "Richard Pryor" (RIP) "Chris Rock" you'll find all of these comedians in the search results, what these comedians have in common is their racial material which is usually their funniest bits, these people are liked by some and hated by some on this forum. I can understand if you find such things offensive, their material isn't for everyone, obviously not for you.

Getting to this list, it's not even an objective list, it simply states what names racial slurs have been used in the past and present and by who, so lighten up :rolleyes:

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I think there's a different situation when you're talking about Chris Rock, Chappelle, Prior, etc, where the racial comedy is used in the context of a joke, and just having a list of racial slurs - no context there.

I don't think this would be incredibly hard to do, but I think it might be hard to find someone to do this for you. Maybe might be easier to have a general wiki parsing widget.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
crap freakboy said:
some people are too easily offended imo.
No kidding huh? Jeeze it's like everyone is a closet Puritan. Everybody needs to chill the fsck out. You can't be a racist if you hate everyone. LOL

Parsing the Wiki is kind of a bitch to do. I think a better Idea would just to have a local database full of the ethinc slurs, then just use an array and rand() function to pull one down automatically. It's not like there's a new slur every day that we're missing out on.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
mwpeters8182 said:
I think there's a different situation when you're talking about Chris Rock, Chappelle, Prior, etc, where the racial comedy is used in the context of a joke, and just having a list of racial slurs - no context there.
Woah woah back up a second there. So you're saying that since these comedians use the terms in a joking context that it's ok to do so, but when you list them in a widget it's taboo?? WTF? The subject is either broachable or it's not. If you can make a joke out of something, then it should be fine to discuss in any context.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
EricNau said:
I find it pathetic that anyone would want to see a new racial slur every day.

It is simply offensive; to everyone.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive. Seriously, life is too damn short to be offended by every little thing. And this is a little thing.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Randall said:
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive. Seriously, life is too damn short to be offended by every little thing. And this is a little thing.
I'm not offended, I just think it's totally stupid, and can't understand why anyone would just want to see the random racial slur of the day. There isn't even anything funny about it; it's not even tied in with a joke.
Maybe I'll make a widget that displays the "bad word" of the day; so every day I can giggle at it just like a Kindergartner. :rolleyes:

How is learning a new racial slur every day going to actually help racism stop?

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
EricNau said:
I'm not offended, I just think it's totally stupid, and can't understand why anyone would just want to see the random racial slur of the day. There isn't even anything funny about it; it's not even tied in with a joke.
Maybe I'll make a widget that displays the "bad word" of the day; so every day I can giggle at it just like a Kindergartner. :rolleyes:

How is learning a new racial slur every day going to actually help racism stop?
Good point. But half the widgets out there are completely useless as well. :p

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Again, my point was that the racial humor of guys like Richard Pryor and Dave Chappelle isn't just listing off slurs - to me, that's not funny. Merely calling someone from a specific group, or reading a list of slurs isn't funny - there's no context.

As for the programming problem, I agree. It might be easier to cut/paste, write a script to parse a text file and create a text file/database, and just go from there. That wouldn't be terribly hard to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.