Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
howdy

I use two printers here at my photo studio - a big inkjet for printing my photographs and a laser for printing documents. murphy's law is in effect here, so almost EVERY time I switch applications and print, it ends up at the wrong printer. my excel spreadsheets look GREAT on 16x20 glossy, but it's really a waste and it's driving me crazy. it seems the printer selection carries over from app to app when you switch. is there any way to make different apps default to different printers?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
howdy

I use two printers here at my photo studio - a big inkjet for printing my photographs and a laser for printing documents. murphy's law is in effect here, so almost EVERY time I switch applications and print, it ends up at the wrong printer. my excel spreadsheets look GREAT on 16x20 glossy, but it's really a waste and it's driving me crazy. it seems the printer selection carries over from app to app when you switch. is there any way to make different apps default to different printers?

there's a way to set ONE default printer. maybe you can set THE default to the laser one, and when you print photo, you switch?

the way of doing it is here

bonk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
that, I know (but thanks for the speedy response). the problem is REMEMBERING to switch it (which is apparently impossible). it seems like it would be a great feature to be able to set a different default printer for EACH application.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I've gotten into the habit of hitting Apple-P instead of the print button. That way I look at my options before printing. I have a wifi laser, which is great! Plus, HP inkjets for home and two for work.

ha... i never got into the habit of using the print button EVEN when i only have oen printer... the problem is a lot of times i dont print the entire document, so i have to use it to select the pages i do anyway... so yeah, DON'T just click on the print button then you should remember.

islandmonusvi

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
U.S. Virgin Islands
Using print to PDF uses the default of the App. page set-up.
Then use Acrobat or Preview to print from the pdf.
Print to PDF also creates an archive of the print-jobs which can then be posted
to servers for client access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.