Can you overclock the GPU in OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by poppe, Dec 24, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey

Can you overclock the GPU in OS X or do I need to install windows and do it?

What would be the best settings to have my GPU and memory set to in regards to keeping the computer safe from frying horribly?

If I overclock it in Windows (if that is what I have to do) will it stay overclocked in OS X?

(I searched and even asked this question in another thread but go no answers..)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You need to post your machine specs and for the most part no overclocking through OSX.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh crap my bad.

Machine:

17" MBP C2D
    2.33 GHZ
    2 Gigs RAM
    160 GB Hard Drive

Anything else?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks like you have a ati X1600 mobility graphics meaning you can use the Ati tools for messing with clock & memory in Xp. We have folks here that know more about it then me.

Im wondering why you want to overclock? not enough performance in gaming? If so I would work on lowering resolutions and turning off things since overclocking with that X1600 most likely means just a few frames depending on title. Your machine should be plenty fast for anything.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Be aware too that the default clocking of the ATIs in the C2D iMac are very high. If you heard about iMacs being underclocked, those are Core Duo iMacs....

See this thread -- wade through the mostly gibberish and halfway down or so there is a reply from me with links to info on typical clocking of the iMac C2D GPU.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Well I know the C2D has been given out some pretty good performances. But I would really like to have some high resolution and frame rates when playing games like F.E.A.R. and what not.

Another question for you: Are most games that are both out for Mac and PC not really compatible to play together? Or are there quite a few? I bought Age of Empires III for my girlfriend for Christmas and bought one for me. Well she has a Dell and I have a Mac and I keep hearing we won't be able to play together... which sucks. So if there aren't many out that we can do a PC Mac LAN or what ever then I am stuck having to buy XP and using bootcamp...

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Depends on titles, some titles play well Mac vs Pc and some dont but if your running through boot camp and Xp these shouldnt be issues.

Fear is a resource Hog and your best bet is to play with your settings & resolutions. Fear has a lot of things you can play with like AF,AA,etc. Great game though Halflife2 & episodes are still better in my view.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh yes for sure they are. I still love counter strike the best...

9. driftnut56 macrumors newbie

Overclocking the GPU

Hey, I have only tested these speeds in Windows XP but 525 Mhz Core, 1050 Mhz Shader, and 702 Mhz Memory are the settings that I have been using to play Crysis and Crysis: Warhead. The overheating problem disappears actually when I overclocked the GPU, especially when playing games. Good luck. Also these are on the 8600M GT, which I just realized is of no benefit to you but I am going to post this anyway because others might need it.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

This thread is almost 2 years old :confused: I think they no longer need any advice...

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

That's funny you said that because I read the thread title and I was like wait, who started that thread... Then I realized I started it.... interesting

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

So.... After 2 years, what did you end up doing? lol.

13. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

If I'm honest. I wouldn't overclock it.

My mate had an original Core Duo 15" MBP. He decided to give overclocking a go. It wasn't by too much, still within ATI's rated clock speeds. However the laptop went bye bye after 6 months.

Prob the added heat fried it. Luckily he was under warranty and Apple never found out it was overclocked so he got the logic board replaced.