Can you play Wii live? W/ other online gamers

Discussion in 'Games' started by MattyMac, Nov 19, 2006.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Well to tell you the truth, I havent really been into video games since Jaguar...haha yes jaguar what a flop. But anyhow I've been reading about the wii and had to get one.

I'm sorry for the ignorant question, but is there a way to play other online gamers live? Or no? I just figured that there was since it has wifi, which I have hooked up.

I appreciate your help.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yes, yes you can.

How well it does remains to be seen.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes...but Nintendo only got the kits for online to themselves, and they didn't use it...so currently there are no online Wii game...but Wii COD 3 is said to be getting an update to get online play next year!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yes, however none of the launch titles support online play. The first online title is Pokemon Battle Revolution, which comes out in Japan in December...also, Super Mario Strikers and Battalion Wars 2 are both online, as is Super Smash Bros Brawl.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

COMPLETELY rumor.

6. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Really so nothing now?

It would be kind of cool to play the wii sports game online with others...just for fun! But I guess you cant..

Thanks for all of the responses.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No online play yet, it's coming. Metroid Prime 3 will be shipping without online play, but will be enabled with an update. apparently.

Sorta like the DS. We didn't see online DS games for an awfully long time. Heck, originally it wasn't even planned to go online! Or so the rumours say.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The Nintendo not getting the kits to devs...or Call of Duty 3 online coming next year?(Or both!)

9. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i'm betting he was talking about Call of Duty 3 getting online play.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nothing right now but the online game network is launching soon (December in Japan, early 2007 U.S.).

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo isn't giving the online network API's out to devs until it's ready, working, and tested.

Call of Duty 3 coming online next year is a complete rumor. So is Metroid Prime 3. I doubt it personally, it is a TON to add through updates (add multiplayer mpas and new game modes...there's only 512 MB space on there).

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

With efficient coding it won't be too bad. Personally I reckon Retro Studios are building the multiplayer into the game, but it won't be accessible until the update.
    Even so, with efficient coding and using textures and engines already used in the game, maps could be very, very small in file size. It's just studios like Valve who like to contain bits of engines in their maps :D 20mb for an average sized map? cummon!

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Again, it's just a rumor.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

indeed. Personally I'd rather they really focus on a multiplayer-specific game like Hunters. A fast paced "power" based online FPS? I'd have that. I'd eat that. I'd fund that.