Can you prevent your iphone from going over your data plan limit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mchat, Jul 4, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm getting the iPhone when it comes out in canada. I think the lowest data plan will be fine for me. Is there an app that can shut off the data transfers when I reach 400mb? I want to make sure I don't rack up extra charges.

2. macrumors 68020

That would be nice actually, having the option to shut off data when you have reached your limit and if you want to keep going then you can. I don't think that option is available though, you just have to monitor your usage.

3. macrumors 6502a

Wasn't one company in a commercial offering electric shock collars for when you go over your minutes, maybe they can do that for data too :)

4. macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about this the other day. My god I hope this will be possible.

5. macrumors 68040

Telp

I think thats the best you can do. Check your usage when you feel your close, and remember to either keep a toll of your monthly usage, or reset your settings when the new month rolls in.

6. macrumors 68020

Probably not since they make a lot of their money from overages.

7. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Maybe someone will write an app.

8. macrumors 6502a

When you're close to the end of your minutes or data you'd think they could have their system easily send a text message to you, warning you.

9. macrumors member

I could have sworn there was a screen-shot of turning off EDGE/3G..... this would allow you to use WiFi; which does not count against your data plan.

10. macrumors member

There is a feature, its called airplane mode, which turns off the Data and bluetooth and wifi while you're on a plane. But when you do that you can't make or receive calls so it would defeat the purpose of the phone.

11. macrumors member