Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
There really should be a way to make something available on the ipad by printing to it from the desktop. I simply want the PDF content to then be made available on the ipad.

Anything like this?

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
So you're looking for something like "Save as PDF on IPad" in your desktop apps? (or "Save As PDF" and be able to select the iPad as the storage location).

Don't think you're going to get that. Best bet is save it and then upload to the iPad outside the app using something like Goodreader or AirSharing HD.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I'm still waiting for my iPad, but I use ACT Printer from Houdah all the time to print PDFs to my iPhone. The iPhone needs to be connected to the same wireless network as your Mac then in the print dialog you choose "Save As PDF" and then "Print to iPhone"

Don't know how to do it if you have a windows machine.

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Use the print window to Save as PDF, and choose your Dropbox as the save location. Use Goodreader on your iPad to connect to your Dropbox account and download it.

StuartL

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
UK
I use the iPrinter app for this. It makes the iPad appear as an available printer on my network. Works very well.

Can also see the printer from windows by installing Bonjour for Windows

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It seems like printing to your DropBox folder would be the most versitile as DB is supported by a lit of apps on the iPad. Do any of the apps mentioned better dropbox?

Dropbox would have the benefit of not needing to have your iPad around when you print to it.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
It seems like printing to your DropBox folder would be the most versitile as DB is supported by a lit of apps on the iPad. Do any of the apps mentioned better dropbox?

Dropbox would have the benefit of not needing to have your iPad around when you print to it.

Two best options (in my opinion, in no particular order):

1. Save PDF to Evernote on your desktop, then open it using Evernote's iOS app--both are free (create a Notebook called "iPad docs," then put things there for quick access).

2. Save PDF to Dropbox from your desktop, then open it in the Dropbox iOS app--depending on the size of your Dropbox account, price runs from free to $$ (create a folder called "iPad docs" for quick access).

Depending on the item/purpose, I use both. They auto-sync outside the local network, items load fast, accessing documents is easy, and they're über-reliable. Win/win all the way around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.