can you put a mini-dvd in my mbp?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by charlestrippy, Nov 9, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

will putting a mini-dvd in my MBP make it impossible to get it back out....or not even work?

please let me know - i have a mini-dvd and I need to get it on my mbp thanks!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, don't do it. There's a pretty high chance it'll get stuck and might wreck your drive. :(

3. Lebowski macrumors 6502

you can only use mini dvds in a tray load drive, not a slot loading drive like on macbooks.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, the Wii will be able to load 8cm GameCube discs, but that's a specially designed drive. So in general, slot load drive + anything other than a standard 12cm disc = VERY NO.

5. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yeah, i thought so - i've just been freaking out trying to rip this video for a student film..

6. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i wonder if there is some sort of special 12cm tray for and 8cm disc (as in you sit the minidiscc in a special disc the size of a normal one)

7. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I think even in a special tray (maybe like the ones you see printers use to print CDs) the danger is that the disk will detach and thus render the drive entirely useless.

Also, this would be deemed to be your fault and so Apple would not repair the drive for free. The cost would also be extortionate.

8. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

the easiest solution I have found is to use an external DVD reader.

I have had to convert the mini DVD to tape with a set top DVD player beacuse the disk had so many chapters that Handbreak didn't see the last few chapters. And another time the disk didn't play on a Mac (oh, yeah. That one wasn't finalized on the DVD Camcorder.)

I've also used a FORMAC Studio to capture via an analog connection.

9. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

I agree with rjphoto, the best option would be to get an external DVD drive. I would suggest buying a combo desktop drive, and an external enclosure that can house a 5.25" drive (in other words, one that won't have a permanent front panel). Plus, external enclosures are real handy to have around for testing HDD's and optical drives.

10. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

11. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

that's what i said

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The original slot-load G3 iMacs could take mini CDs. (MiniDiscs are completely different.) Some car slot-load CD players can take mini CDs. It's just that most recent slot-load computer drives (especially laptop drives,) have been incapable of it. The vast majority of tray load drives take them just fine. (Any laptop-style trays, where you click the disc onto the spindle, will work just fine; any desktop-style will work if it has an indentation the size of the mini CD.)

13. ibilly macrumors regular

OR, instead of buying a drive for this specific purpose, pop on down o your local Apple Store, Comp-USA, etc. and pop that baby into a powermac and image it or something, then drop it onto an ipod, thumb drive, spacious email attachment, etc. No cost, you get to use a sweet mac pro/powermac and you get the job into s state that you can work on it at your leisure. I might also suggest handbrake if it's video–fast encoding and very compatible formats.

14. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Where exactly?