can you put apple tv to sleep from remote???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Towelie1288, Apr 2, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Towelie1288

just puchased new apple tv over the weekend

can you put apple tv to sleep from remote???
    if not i cant beleive this wasnt put in
    i thought you would hold down the play pause button for a couple seconds but apprantly not

2. simsaladimbamba

Hold the center select button down for 5 seconds and It'll go off.

3. macrumors 68040

maturola

Menu + Center Button :D

4. macrumors 6502a

chenks

that's incorrect.

----------

this is correct.

5. macrumors 68040

maturola

That may be the case, I had always used both, but maybe only the center button is required, It works for me, and I kind of used to it by now :D

6. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Forgive me for moaning, but this is what I dislike about Apple's 'beautifully simple' remote control. A task like putting the device to sleep isn't intuitive, you either end up searching for the user-guide (if you still have it) or asking online, instead of just tapping a Power/Standby button as on any other remote.

7. macrumors 6502a

chenks

or here's a crazy idea... leaving it alone and letting it go to sleep automatically!
    that's more intuitive than almost every other device I have that stays awake unless otherwise told to.

8. macrumors 68010

Except that XBMC turns off auto sleep...

9. macrumors 6502a

So the complaint is against the manufacturer but about a jail broken device???

10. macrumors 68000

steve-p

That's what I do. I used to turn it off with ATV1 because of the ridiculous heat, not that it made much difference, but I just don't bother with ATV2 and ATV3 since it draws so little power and goes to sleep of its own accord anyway.

----------

The OP mentioned "new Apple TV" which I assume means ATV3, not jailbreakable, and therefore no XBMC.

11. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, most devices these days have an auto-standby option. That is what I use with the ATV, (mostly because I just learned of the "hold Select for 5 seconds to sleep" option and keep forgetting it's there ;) ). It's not just the sleep 'keystroke', it's the reset keystroke too. Over-simplification and style-over-function, IMO.

12. macrumors 6502a

In settings you can determine an amount of time before it goes to sleep. It draws nearly no power. I just let it go to sleep after an hour of inactivity.