Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
Can you rearrange application icons? I swear I saw this on one of the Apple videos, but I cannot find it there or in the pdf User's Guide. I'd like to replace the "iPod" button on the bottom with "iCal" which I reference much more often.

marcelo002

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Owego, NY
The video i believe you're referring to rearranges the ipod options (Playlists, songs, artists, podcasts, videos, etc). That can be changed by going in the Ipod, selecting more, then clicking edit. Just drag the options that you want down to the menu.

As for the Main app window, I doubt you'll ever be able to select which apps appear at the bottom, since Jobs made such a big deal about the Four Big Things (Phone, Mail, Internet, iPod)

AudiA4

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
The video i believe you're referring to rearranges the ipod options (Playlists, songs, artists, podcasts, videos, etc). That can be changed by going in the Ipod, selecting more, then clicking edit. Just drag the options that you want down to the menu.

As for the Main app window, I doubt you'll ever be able to select which apps appear at the bottom, since Jobs made such a big deal about the Four Big Things (Phone, Mail, Internet, iPod)

That's too bad...for many people, the iPod is not one of the main four functions day-in, day-out. It would have been easy to allow this to be edited by the end-user in the same way as that within the iPod app.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
Is there anyway to rearrange the buttons not at the bottom? I don't need the stocks button and would like to remove it.

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Is there anyway to rearrange the buttons not at the bottom? I don't need the stocks button and would like to remove it.

me too !! i dont need that , useless for me.. i wish i could install widgets on my iphone, and change the stock for other one i use more..

you guys think that will ne possible ?

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
me too !! i dont need that , useless for me.. i wish i could install widgets on my iphone, and change the stock for other one i use more..

you guys think that will ne possible ?

All the buttons are static, unchangeable currently. My guess is this will change with the advent of new apps developed by Apple and their partners. Sometime down the road, it's a safe bet that add/remove and sort functions will be provided for the home screen. Don't hold your breath, though!

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
The bottom buttons will probably remain fixed, but new software may allow
for sorting the remaining soft keys. The current configuration seems very logical and intuitive.

Billy Boo Bob

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
Dark Side Of The Moon
My guess is that once the last 4 slots are filled and there's more to add that you'll end up with "pages" of icons. Either flick to the side for the next set (like photos), or scroll through them.

Other than that we might end up with some sort of folders.

Hopefully some day there'll be an option to rearrange them or add/remove them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.