Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danger! Will

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2003
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a good all in one printer. My only requirement are that it be as small as possible and run on OS X natively. Meaning I don't want it to require os 9 emulation. It's main function will be to print b/w text.
I just noticed that Walmart has the Lexmark X1185 All in one printer for $39.99. The lexmark site lists an os x driver. Does anyone have any experiences with this printer?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I wouldn't suggest any Lexmark inkjet product, considering that my parents' X73 died a horrible death at just around a year old. I had much better luck with my Z42 printer but the cost of using ink was high to offset the low cost of the printer.

I've had great luck with Epson all-in-ones. However, I would suggest with any that you purchase, that you spend at least $100. The cheaper they are the flakier they'll be.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Any that you might have an interest in check the web site and just make sure that they are 10.4 compatible as one of my scanners (only a yr. old) was not and so I had to get another one (glad I did) but just make sure.
Brand? Epson all in ones or the new Canons seem to be nice. Good luck:)

knockknock

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
at home
If you are going to fax and print photos I'd suggest the canon mp780 . Each color it's in an individual ink tank.and the pics come out great
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ance&n=172282&n=507846&s=electronics&v=glance
I had before the epson cx6400 and let me tell you what a piece of junk> I didn't use that much and just after the year it started getting clogged.
Now I have a HP Officejet 5610xi good on OSX.4 it's ok for office work also has a fax but noway for printing pictures -I guess I'm spoiled , for pictures we use the canon i9900:D .
The HP has only 2 tanks 1 black and 1 tricolor.
Why did we get the Hp and not the Canon ?
1.-The HP takes less vertical space ;
2.- my wife bought this one for $135 @ Costco meanwhile I was at work .
3.- I already have a great photo printer.

Even though it's almost a difference of 100 bucks go with the canon .I Tried printing a 4x6 on the Hp and it takes and eternity ( Icould had printed 3 4x6s on my i9900)
the hp is mostly used for text printing.The good thing is that it has 1 huge black ink tank
check also the ink cost .Each canon cartdridge-6 total is $12 ($10 @buy.com) and HP are $25 for black and $35 for color ($30 @buy.com).so at the end if you ran out of Cyan you'll have to spend $12 on canon or $35 on HP-the answer is a no brainer

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
My friend just got a Brother MFC-420cn. Yep, Brother. I checked some reviews and they were pretty good so I grabbed one too. This thing is so small it barely takes up any space. It also has an ethernet port so I connected it to my router and elminated another cable from my iMac.

Network printing is a bit slow and the build quality isn't the greatest--seems like a lot of cheap plastic. But, it was only $140 and the ink is reasonably priced as well. I don't think you can't find another AIO with fax and ethernet for under $300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.