Can You Recommend a Voice Recorder?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GanChan, Nov 22, 2006.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2005
    I will be going on a long boring car trip, and I'd like to be able to jot down writing ideas while I drive. Ideally it would be a digitial recording device that could be connected to my iBook later for file transfers. So, something like an mp3 recorder I guess.

Anyone have any special recommendations? Cheaper is better, but my connectivity requirement will probably rule that out, since I probably need a USB 2.0 port....
  2. DStaal macrumors member

Jan 2, 2003
    Olympus seems to be the leader in the market. I've liked mine, which appears to be no longer avalible. Here's their website:

Note that the recorders save to a semi-private file format instead of MP3. It produces a smaller file for the same quality on speaking voices. (But isn't as good for music/singing.) Their software can convert to MP3 though.
  3. dylan macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    There are a few recorders that plug into an ipod. I have use the Griffin iTalk and it worked fine.
  4. powerboy macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
  5. HugMnster macrumors member

Mar 31, 2006
    Tyler, Tx
  6. mooncaine macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2004
    Cheap, reliable, small? I love my i-bead for all these reasons

A few years ago, I bought myself an i-bead 200. It records voice [has a few settings for different bit rates and mic gain] direct to MP3. It's an MP3 player, FM Radio [records that, too], has a built-in USB plug [so, no cables], doesn't require any software, and works just like a USB thumb drive on my Macs and PCs. If it died today, I'd buy another immediately. It's hard to overrate the convenience of having a device that needs no cables or adapters, needs no software, records voice, and also is a music player and radio.

The company has offered the occasional firmware upgrade, but I never bothered because mine works great; why mess with it when it works so well already?

Here's the company's site:

Whether you get this one or not, consider the convenience of a no-cables, no-software recorder that makes a file you can instantly use on your computer or other players.