Can you run a PowerBook while it's closed?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NZDave, Jan 7, 2005.

1. NZDave macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have a powerbook, G4, 15" Al. I like to leave it running overnight, to get emails, be signed onto IM, *cough cough*download stuff *cough cough*

I was wondering if you can set it up so when you close it it doesn't go to sleep, so all of these things wouldn't just stop?

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Yes, but only if an external power-supply, monitor and keyboard are connected, otherwise it will sleep.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Actually, just an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse will do. It drains your battery life pretty fast, however. I've also unplugged a USB mouse while my computer was asleep and it woke up-- while closed.

It is called "clamshell" mode I think...

4. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

There is a program called sleepless, i believe it was just updated, that allows you to change the system setting to go to sleep when the lid is closed.
    A word of caution- Closing the lid can really inhibit heat dissipation, and the computer generates far more heat when running normally than when in sleep mode, so you may be causing yourself some issues with regards to overheating, or damage to the screen due to heat.

edit: link- http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Clarify..

The powerbook is okay to run closed, it was designed to be able to. The iBook, however, will overheat if run closed for very long.
    Can't you just completely dim the screen?

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

AMAZING! Apple supplies the same thing, called "The Macintosh Operating System"!!! :eek: :eek:

I think you forgot the word "...to not go to sleep..."

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What do you mean by draining the battery. If the AC adapter is connected should not matter?

8. blue_monkey macrumors member

9. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Because the powerbook is one large heatsink (due to the aluminum nature) The ibooks heat is mostly dissipated from the keyboard. So when you close the screen that route is blocked. One drawback to having such a bullet-proof case.

kyle

10. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

You can .. but why would you .. just let the screen go dark and you have the same result without the added thermal stress ..

11. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

i perfer leaving the book open (ibook).

not about over heating, but i can extend my desktop. so much nicer and cleaner. why waste that 15" of screen?

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Because it is only 14" of space... :rolleyes:
    Unless you were talking about a PowerBook, in which case your vague statement might be correct!

13. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

He was responding to the original poster, he wanted to close his new 15 inch screen. As of now i am running "clamshell" mode. I do it every time i play games. I have a 19" crt- and mouse and keyboard. The screen is much faster.

kyle

14. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

"Actually, just an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse will do." does not include the battery so therefore without it plugged in the battery will drain fast. Apple docs say it must be plugged in when you connect it to an external monitor as such. I've never tried it w/out the power supply (that's if you can).

15. NZDave thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you have it run with nothing attached though, so I'm not using it, I just want it to not go to sleep so the programs don't stop. I turn the BT mouse and keyboard off, and don't have another monitor...yet. I just feel like closing it, but having it still run.

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Nope, have to have some a usb mouse or keyboard hooked up.

17. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

some guy up there linked you to a sharewear...did you check it out?

18. thrillz3 macrumors member

Does the 15" come with any sort of video cable adaptor? Maybe DVI to VGA? If you plug that in, (at least on my 12" it does this) the PB thinks a second display is connected, so all you need is a keyboard and mouse. Of course, you could just lower the brightness all the way like someone else suggested.