Can you run PC games on Mac under Virtual PC...?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MIDI_EVIL, Mar 4, 2006.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

...I have Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 and various others, and was considering building a new PC for strategy games.

But then i thought, why spend £700 GBP on building a gaming PC, when i could put a little bit extra towards getting a Dual Processer PowerMac G5?

Could i run a windows game, under Virtual PC for Mac? How well would it perform? What specs am i looking at?

Thanks anyone,
    Rich.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No, unless you love torture or slide shows. Emulators are garbage, build your pc.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

you can, but unless i had a quad with 4GB RAM, i wouldnt. Itll run so slow you will cry

well i exagerate, but you get my drift. I think it wouldnt run well on any G4 chip, so you would have to buy a G5 machine, and im guessing anything less than 2GHz would make you cry. The quad would run it alright, it runs everything well :D
    Abosolute ****loads of ram will be needed. OS X needs about 256 by itself, VPC would need anything above 1GB to run in any form of the word "well", then the actual game needs heaps. 2GB should make it run alright (if you like slideshow grapics, as Dont Hurt Me said).

It probably would be a lot easier and cheaper just to build a PC.

4. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Really that bad? Wow.

I think i'll build a PC then.

Thanks for replying.

Rich.

5. steelfist macrumors 6502a

to be honest, i'm getting annoyed at the fact that virtual pc playing games thread are everywhere. we need a stickey to address this problem.

it's not fastsoforgotso's fault, or other people who have posted simaler thread's fault, but it's the lack of information that always stay visible in the forums. threads come and go, and when somebody else comes later, the thread will be buried in the fourth or fifth pages, and people with the same questions will not see the thread that will give him the answer.

and last but not least, please search. ;)

6. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

No, that won't help either -- in Virtual PC, you can assign no more than 512 mb of RAM to the windows emulation.

Having said all of this, there are a lot of games that run great under Virtual PC -- those that have minimal graphics requirements. I play many sports simulations (Strat-o-Matic and Diamond Mind Baseball, Action PC Football) on Virtual PC and they run great.

7. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Sorry about that.

Fair comment though, i'm fairly new to Mac (Switched in March '05) and message boards for that matter, i suppose i don't yet quite know the in's and out's.

Point taken onboard!

Thanks,
    Rich.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

9. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

You should be able to play solitaire and minesweeper ok.
    Those too games just might be the most hard-core games ever!

10. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

11. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

What do you mean ?

Rich.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Just something to think about... depending on your timeline for wanting to have all this done you could hold off and see what develops with booting Windows on Intel Macs (they are getting pretty close by all accounts).

A 20" Intel iMac will make a nice gaming machine in Windows and a nice everything else machine in OS X.

Also, I haven't read anything about this being tried, but people are running Linux on Intel Macs left and right, and WINE (a Windows compatibility layer for Linux) does games pretty well. So you should be able to play quite a few Windows games on an Intel iMac running Linux with a Windows "emulator" (WINE literally means WINE Is Not an Emulator :p).

Of course, getting a high end dual core Mac mini, a Dell 20" or 23" LCD, a KVM switch, and building a nice gaming PC would be a good way to go about things as well.

13. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

All true and worth keeping in mind, but also ...

1) DarWINE is moving along
    2) Virtual PC for Intel will probably run Windows in a window without the performance hit of the PPC version
    3) For all we know, there could be some kind of Windows emulation built into Leopard. All the new Intel chip include virtualization and the next OS X will probably exploit the ability to run multiple installations of operating systems in some manner

I think a year from now there will be an enormous range of choices for running Windows on a Mac that exceed the current Virtual PC option (which I personally think is pretty good) and would be preferrable to dual boot.

Then again, this is another subject that's been beaten to death in dozens of other threads ...

14. mo-ca macrumors member

i think this depends on the game. some games like warcraft 3 are opengl-based and so you can emulate them very nice ...
    i dont know, ich battle for middleearth is opengl or directx based, but you can try it.

but if you want to game, perhaps a pc will be the best for you

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, Virtual PC will not use your graphics card, thus, no 3D games.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

No, you can't. VirtualPC has no 3D acceleration, period, OpenGL or otherwise. (Anyway, why bother trying to emulate Warcraft3 when you could just play the Mac version?)

WINE on Linux for gaming isn't possible either, because there are no 3D Linux graphics card drivers for the X1600 that ships with Intel Macs. (Don't even bother mentioning the Intel Mac Mini....)

--Eric

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You know I won't be surprised if MS axes VPC. I would be much less surprised to see them market Vista for Mac. Why not? They wouldn't care whether you run Windows on an Apple or a Dell. Apples not gonna care (they may not want to support it, but I can't see why they'd try to stop it).

VPC for Intel is just gonna be Vista:Mac. They may justify the extra $50 they will charge for it by including some sort of VM software to let you run them side by side, or dual boot your choice. I suppose they will probably update VPC once more for the last round of PPC machines out there, but after that...

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes but it supports EFI out of the box.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think the one thing you're missing is that VPC has a role to play, even on Windows. MS didn't buy Connectix for the Mac version of VPC, it bought them, 'cause they saw the need to compete with VMWare, et al. The ability to run multiple OSes simultaneously is of extreme use to developers, web designers, etc... who need to keep their feet wet in different environments and versions of an OS. Plus, having a misbehaving app only take down the VM is a big deal for serious developers.

Virtualization has been around since the '286 days, but it never worked as well as the hype. It's finally become useful.

Anyhow, I thought that the Mac Business Unit clearly indicated they were working on VPC for Intel Macs, and they probably have an agreement with Apple not to specifically target Macs for a Vista install. (i.e. if the "regular" editions of Vista install on Macs, great, but don't expect MS Vista for Mac.)

B

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For what it's worth, the current beta of Vista won't boot on my iMac. It doesn't even show up in the Startup Disk pane. Of course, the final release may be different.

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It won't boot natively, but I THINK that there has been some success getting it to work.

I disagree. MS has a completely different VM program in the works. I think they bought Connectix for the PPC emulation (I'm to drunk to look it up, but I'm pretty certain that it's out there). They used to have a PPC version of NT and they seemed to stop development on it. I think they just wanted the PPC emulator and the profits they could make bundling the two together.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But Virtual PC is an x86 emulator, not a PPC emulator. Did Connectix have a PPC emulator that I'm not aware of?

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I agree on the desire for profits. :p The bundle of Office + VPC makes MS lots more money than they could otherwise.

You're right that there was a PPC version of NT4, along with MIPS and Alpha ports, but Win2K and XP were never released for anything other than x86. I think you're also right to an extent that the new version of VPC/Virtual Server will be different, as it will most likely be designed to take advantage of the virtualization technology in the new CPUs from Intel and AMD.

Here's the PR from the time of the Connectix acquisition. http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/Feb03/02-19PartitionPR.mspx
    Lots of mention of Windows virtualization as well as Mac, even more so if you stay away from Mac specific sites to read about what became of Connectix.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/11/05/45FEvirtualmsft_1.html

Basically MS was seeing lots of their bigger clients running systems on VMWare hosted on Linux and needed to outflank any moves in that direction. Buying Connectix killed two birds with one stone.

I think his point was that they bought Connectix as an alternative to continuing development of native NT/PPC, and I agree with that sentiment. muche easier to work on the x86 codebase alone if an emulator is available for the 1% of users who might need it.

B

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think he meant "PPC version of the emulator". There is a version of Virtual PC that runs on x86 (the Windows version) too.