can you say Mac OS 10.7? (M$ Longhorn delay)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Dec 15, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

10.4 in late 2005... 10.5 in early 2007... 10.6 in 2008... 10.7 in 2009??

it better be good when M$ finally gets around to it...

Longhorn delay

how about those "suckers" purchasing SA from M$? reduced priced OS updates, anyone...? :rolleyes:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think this has been posted before

I remember seeing this article linked to before on MacRumors, but I don't remember the thread it was in. Still, the article raises several good points about M$ and Longhorn.

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I've seen the newest internal concept builds of Longhorn (The builds as of two weeks ago), and they absolutely rock.

Hate to say it, but, right now, it's WAAAY better than OS X. It's really absolutely beautiful. And it makes the Dock look like a horsey kids toy.

4. mmmbop macrumors regular

Care to elaborate in a little detail? What three new features/improvements in this build would make a mac-head do a double-take?

5. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Until it's slapped and packaged in a box on the shelves for consumers to buy, "Longhorn" can be waaaaay better than OSX, but seeing it's almost 2004 and Longhorn isn't expected for another 2-3+ years....ho hum.

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I did not think Longhorn was anything special. It does look better than Mac OS X does at the moment, but I expect Mac OS X will look better than Longhorn by the time Longhorn comes out.

M$ always have problems keeping to scheduals, Windows 98 was meant to be released in 96, originally.

8. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't doubt that at all. it better be good because it's not due for at least another 2+ years. turn back a few years. i'd sure hope any preview of jaguar would have been better than the win 2k...

however, until it's packed and deployed, it's nothing more than a beta. it better be really good now, because it will need to keep being good for another two years at the very least.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Right now longhorn is in the same league as those "screen shots" of Doom 3 a while back, very exciting, but essentially a fiction. Doom 3 doesn't look like those shots, even if it does look great now.

Longhorn had better be the computing holy grail in 2-3 years time, cos OSX is getting better in leaps and bounds, and will be right on the money by then.

Besides, unless Psychosoft intend to furnish apps at the level of iTunes, iMovie, iDVD etc, and a level of system integration way beyond anything they have evidenced in the past, I don't think they have a hope.

Ship it in a working form, it's all vapourware till then.

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

poo

Ha Ha!

you loved saying it WAAY too loudly to have believed it.

As far as I can tell the OS in Minority Report is WAAAAY better than anything Microsoft or Apple have got.

oh, silly me.:eek:

11. sosumi macrumors member

Re: poo

The interface in Minority Report is the worst I ever seen. Just imagine to have to move your arms like that just to perform simple tasks. It just looks futuristic, not practical at all.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

So what things about Longhorn make the Dock and OS X look so bad? The last demos I've seen were the same unexpired stuff as usual and no one seems to want to elaborate on the details.

13. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

The thing is though, even if we are at 10.7 by then, we will still be using OS X, so it is not like by the time we get to 10.7, will be as big of a change as XP>Longhorn. And i hope we never get to 10.7, we should be at OS 11, and have a slick new interface to wow the pants off of everyone, so that microsoft will never have an OS that is better or cooler looking then that of Apples, because no offence i doubt that if we are at 10.7 then, it will not be better then an os that took nearly 7 years to make. Given that each 10.x update is only the addition of ?150 new features... anyways i hope Apple is working on something way cooler, and will introduce it just before Longhorn (that way microsoft does not have time to copy anything.)

aethier

14. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

um... XP is just a colored up version of 2k. unless longhorn is different from XP the same way OS X is different from OS 9...

15. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Do you mean it looks elegant and refined with a straightforward, intuitive interface?

Or does it have a bunch of gee-whiz fluff effects (like the dock's sucking & poofing, FUS cube effect, etc.)?

In other words, is it a usability better or a special effects better? Or both?

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

A problem here is that new is not always better. Some people prefer change for change's sake, but sometimes the best way to do something has already been discovered (i.e. the mousetrap, the spoon). Apple can keep up on the look or "theme" being sharp, but junking up the environment with 3D, drop shadows, blurry depth of field, glows, etc., is only a better thing if it makes you more efficient. There are still those who argue (successfully at times) that aspects of OS9's interface are better thought out than OSX's. My bet is on the fact that Microsoft has little sense of restraint and is fond of junking up everything. Longhorn can very well be a mess...

17. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

that is a good point, but the average user will see. os x(providing it looks the same) and Longhorn with all those "cool effects" and think that it is better cause it is shiny or something equally dumb, anyways when they realise how it really is... then they will come to mac os 10.7, or !! (which ever we are at)

aethier

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't see any reason why OS X won't be stellar by then. There is no reason to junk the OS if it has such potential (along with stability, efficiency, etc) OS X has made huge improvements since 10.0 days and in another few years it could be a whole new beast.

19. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

yeah i know, i LOVE OS X, and i am sure that apple has a surprise or two up their sleave for us..

aethier

20. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

just my .02

Well apple might be up to OS 13.1 by the time Longhorn is released, if they keep re-releasing the same OS again and again. Panther should have been Jaguar 10.2.9.

21. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Re: just my .02

There were significant differences between Jaguar and Panther. If that difference wasn't worth a point upgrade, then what is?

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Considering that Panther provided significant changes to BSD and the Mach microkernal, which are the most important updates Apple could do to OS X, along with all the many additions, tweaks, and upgrades, if Panther did not warrant a point release, I don't know what could have.

23. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Re: Re: poo

I'm guessing that the Minority Report OS was a MS product -- just think, the best detective in the country couldn't figure out how to change his equivalent of "mouse tracking speed".

24. snofseth macrumors member

I hope by 2006 there will be os XI how long was os 9 out, but I dont like saying the name longhorn is bad because texas is my favorite team and that is there mascot so I dont like it, but I bet ms will not name it longhorn that is just a temporary name

25. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i think os 12 will be the first full-64 bit OS (for apple), and we'll reach that by the end of the decade. By 2010, most of the G3s and G4s will likely be withered, and G5 will be a distant memory. ooh does the future look good.