Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uvcoix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
UK
I'm relatively new to programming in C++.
Reading about standard input/output functionality in C++ I found that cout command is in fact an object of class ostream. If so, presumably one should be able to see this object initialized in the debugger mode.

I was wondering if it was possible to set a watch for std::cout in the xcode debugger (when running a simple "Hello World" programme for example)?
I haven't been able to locate it. Any help/clarification is very much appreciated.

thanks.

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
The member you are probably interested in is static. No one creates an instance. They just use the overloaded operator for a particular function.

uvcoix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
UK
Thanks.

The member you are probably interested in is static. No one creates an instance. They just use the overloaded operator for a particular function.

Thanks a lot for a swift reply. Could you please explain what you mean by the statement "No one creates an instance" (I apologize if this sounds pedantic, but I'm trying to get to details).
I looked up in the debugger under "File Statics", but only found a variable std::__ioinit of type 'std::ios_base::Init' , am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
std::cout is an object. It is not a command. You can't set a breakpoint on an object. You can set a breakpoint on its initializer, but the fact that it's a static object means that it's initialized before main() is ever run. Additionally, there are likely a fair number of similar objects that are initialized as statics, so you'd have a difficult time knowing exactly which object is being initialized.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use the debugger to step into operator<<() which will put you a file related to cout's object type. From there, you can follow the trail to find the initializer and put a breakpoint in that function.

uvcoix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
UK
thanks.

std::cout is an object. It is not a command. You can't set a breakpoint on an object. You can set a breakpoint on its initializer, but the fact that it's a static object means that it's initialized before main() is ever run. Additionally, there are likely a fair number of similar objects that are initialized as statics, so you'd have a difficult time knowing exactly which object is being initialized.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use the debugger to step into operator<<() which will put you a file related to cout's object type. From there, you can follow the trail to find the initializer and put a breakpoint in that function.

Thanks for the useful explanation! Indeed, after a bit of thought and playing around with the debugger, I've realized that your answer is correct and to the point. I did follow your suggestion and stepped into the operator<<(), and the std::cout object did materialize. As I understood, since std::cout object is created outside main(), it is not in scope while the programme execution is in main().

I would need to read up on scoping to understand the intricacies - But thanks a lot for your answer - it has set me on the right track!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.