can you share a macs itunes with a pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Salteh, May 23, 2006.

1. Salteh macrumors member

my macbook hasnt arrived yet, but when it does ill be spending alot of time at my gfs and her brother and dad are wondering if they will be able to connect to my macbooks itunes library from their pcs and laptops ( i have ALOT of music)

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yup ... Just share the itunes on macbook and look for shared music in itunes on the pcs

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that they - or anyone else accessing your shared music - won't be able to listen to iTMS music unless you let them access your account. Non-DRM music will play fine, though.

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

check the Firewall settings to allow iTunes thru (Sys Prefs > Sharing )

although iTunes will prompt you to do it anyway if it's not, when you turn on sharing (iTunes > Prefs > Sharing).

They have to have iTunes running on their machines to see and play your shared library,

and they can't copy files thru iTunes, you have to go thru normal file sharing for that (again check the Sys Prefs > Sharing settings and turn on Windows sharing so they can see your mac under their windows network). They'll need you login and password to access your Music folder.