can you switch a imac graphics card?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by junkionxl, Feb 22, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Well i am still in the stone age area of the macintosh world. I am running a G3 300 and i am looking towards getting a new mac. One is a Titanium and the other possibly a imac. I am not looking to really spend a lot of money one one. I was wondering if i can replace the GeForce4 MX card int he imac and put in a new ATI card?

2. macrumors G4

3. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

only thePPPPPPowermac can swap out video cards! Can you feel the power?

4. thread starter macrumors member

thats all i need

Yeah…the only reason I really needed to know is that is becuase like some apple worker at compusa tried telling me that you can swap it. I had to hear from some others if it was true or not...but i guess that an apple worker is wrong then lol!

5. macrumors 6502

On the old iMacs, I think you could upgrade the Video Card, or at least the video memory.

6. macrumors 6502

Yeah, someone made a Voodoo card for the early iMacs that had the mezzazanine slot, and there are very few of them, and the Voodoo card is not supported anymore for much other than stuff that came out before they got bought by nvidia.

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: can you switch a imac graphics card?

Buy a PowerMac (video card/CPU card/PCI slots) if you are thinking of doing any tinkering and/or upgrading in the future.

The iMac is upgradeable, outside the box, or by replacing the box -- that's all.