Can you tell siri to send a message at a certain time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Aug 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Like, "send a message to billybob at 6:30 pm: I will see you soon."

2. macrumors member

No

I found you post interesting and never tried it, so I did. It does not work though. In fact it even deleted the time portion. I said, "Tell my wife at 6:00 it's time for dinner."

All it attempted to post was "It's time for dinner."

I changed it to "At 6 o'clock, tell my wife it's time for dinner."

The same message was sent, "It's time for dinner."

PS - I didn't get dinner and think I am now on the hook to make it myself.

:rolleyes:

3. macrumors 6502a

You're referring to scheduled texts, and unfortunately, Siri doesn't do this yet. I say yet because I'm sure this is something Apple engineers have talked about and should be forthcoming. When, however, is the optimal word.

What's funny is that the jailbreak tweak bitesms does scheduled texts perfectly, so it sure is something how Apple hasn't done the same. It's different when you have to slow the rate of feature innovation to continue to sell products and keep up a stock price for the company as a whole.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

When you say siri doesn't do it, are you implying that there's a setting to do this without siri (and without jailbreak?)

5. macrumors 603

Tyler23

There is no way to schedule texts without jail breaking.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

It might be nice if apple would "innovate" and add this feature.

7. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

this. Bitesms offers this feature, but you have to be jailbroken to get the app.

8. macrumors newbie

we can ldownload some software and add thin function. it can work well.:D

9. macrumors 604

mcdj

stellar post

10. macrumors newbie

Scheduled Texts using siri

You may not be able to schedule text messages using Siri but you can share reminders with your wife and set a reminder using Siri to have dinner ready at 6:30

11. macrumors 68000

Most likely Siri was never programmed to do this as internet access is not available to most people at certain times do t to he building they're in or the system etc. that said your message would never be sent at times so it wouldn't make sense

12. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

I don't want to think about the dark side of something like this but if this was a feature I can see someone setting up suicide notes, or an explanation of why they did something knowing they wouldn't be around when the message was sent. Almost like it was sent from their ghost.

On the bright side I can see some good uses for the feature as well, but I guess for now maybe set a reminder to send a text at a certain time?

13. macrumors 6502a

Sounds similar to sending post-dated email, which I don't think any service allows, at least not that I know of for the same reasons mentioned above.

14. macrumors 6502

More features are needed in siri. For example when i am driving i would like to tell siri to start recording or take a picture. I keep my phone on a mount and like to record random things or perhaps traffic stops

15. macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

There's an app that will schedule an email to send at a later time/date. It also does Facebook & Twitter posts at scheduled times.

Schedaroo.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/schedaroo/id514603464?mt=8

16. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info AbeFrohman. What is the time stamp on the message/email it uses, is it when you typed it in or is it post-dated when its actually sent by the app? I think the email services still do't allow that for the reasons mentioned above.

17. macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

No, you cannot even though it wold be very helpful. I do believe that some texting/messaging apps can do that though. I would use a time-set message for reminding people like setting a message to send at 8am the next morning reminding everyone there will be a meeting at 10am.

18. macrumors 6502a

Ok, so the message still retains the time stamp when you typed it and not when it was delivered later in future. I remember few years back I read that there are legal issues involved in doing this and thats why email service providers didn't provide that option.