Can you turn the display off on the iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skubish, Feb 18, 2005.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If I want to use an external monitor is there a way to turn of the display on the iMac G5?

2. gallivant macrumors member

An external monitor? There's no way to use an external monitor with an iMac.

3. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Why?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes there is.

AFAIK, there is no way to turn off the internal screen.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmm....

Yes, you can mirror the screens with a mini vga-vga adapter (included) but there is no way to turn off the addl' monitor and have it run an external. Quick question...why would you want to do this?

6. Jsmit macrumors regular

You can usean external monitor with the iMac, but it will only mirror what is on the other display. I believe the output is VGA andonly supports 4:3 aspeect ratio with a resolution of 1024X768, the built-in dispay supports higher resolutions and a 16:10 aspect ratio (widescreen) but will match the resolution and ratio the external display. I don't believe there is a way to actually turn off the built-in display, though you should be able to turn off the backlight by reducing the brightness all the way. This will leave a faint image on the display (with out illumination) that can only be seen ifyou look closely in the right light.

Please tell us why you wouldlike to do this? Did the LCD in the iMac break, and you don't want to see the broken image alll the time? Or is it for a presentaion where you don't want the screen to be distracting peoplefrom the presentation?

7. real_murray macrumors member

Electrical Tape to the Rescue!

Just use some black electrical tape to cover the display on the iMac. Hey, it worked for the "Check Engine" light in my car :p

8. Dolo macrumors newbie

I've got an 17" iMac G5 and my internal screen can't be dimmed that much that it is completely black/dark.

It gets pretty dark when turning down screen brightness but one can still see everything on screen without looking from an special angle or something.

Christian

9. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

The reason I was asking is in case on wanted to use the iMac on a big screen TV. Not a big deal, just wondering.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You can use an external display with the iMac.
    You can use the external display to span the desktop with the iMac. (Use a hack - search for the spanning hack, there's plenty of posts about it in the forums)

You can't completely turn off the iMac display manually. Only if you select "turn off display after X minutes" in energy saver. But that won't do you any good if you want to use the iMac while the display is off.

11. Jsmit macrumors regular

My mistake. Thanks for the correction.