Can you upgrade an 800mHz iLamp G4 with the guts of a mac mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jgradieoakes, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jgradieoakes macrumors newbie

I've seen a lot of variations on this question but never any real replies. I have an old iMac that I want to upgrade, but I love the design of my old one and frankly would like to avoid spending 1500 on a new machine. Does anyone know if you can connect a mac mini to the iLamp's screen or if there is a way to get the guts of the mini into the G4?

I live in a small apartment in New York and don't have a lot of space so I'm trying to stick with this machine. Thanks.

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Almost anythignn is possible. How "handy" are you. Are you comforatble soldiering? Can you follow schematics?

The conversionw ould involve gutting the imac and keeping intact the video/power leads for the screen. Then mounting the mac min inside or just the mac mini's components. If you migrate the mini's componinents you run into the problem of securing it all inside. That might require fabrication of custom parts.

Basically its doable, but it requires lots of planning, a steady hand and the right tools/know how.