Can you upgrade the RAM while buying?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pixeled_Apple, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

Yo, every1; I needa ask a question about upgrading the RAM when like buying it brand new, Is it possible? or do you have to buy it separately and tell them to fit it in? I'm gettin' a 1.5GHz Powerbook SD and (since I have excellent progress.. and hopin' to get a good rep) to upgrade the RAM up2 2GB. Can you ask to upgrade it here-and-now? {I'm also gettin VPC 7 and mayb Keynote}

The stor I am buyin' to from is Streetwise , in Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia
    http://www.streetwise.com.au

Huge Thanks! ;)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmmm, the answer would seem to be "yes" although the question is still in some doubt...

If you are buying from Apple directly, you can order extra RAM with the machine. This has the advantage of being on the same bill, but the disadvantage of being outrageously more expensive than "street" price for RAM, and may delay your order. Best to order with the minimum stock RAM and upgrade yourself.

If you are buying from a bricks-and-mortar Apple dealer, you could ask them if they will fit some third-party RAM in it, and what the cost would be.

In the unlikely event they say "no" or insist in charging the Apple usury, you can always order your RAM separately and install it yourself. Choose a vendor that guarantees Apple compatibility, lifetime warranty and who will refund your money if it is not compatible. Probably best to stay with an Australian vendor, as the shipping charges to and from North America are high, and you would have to foot the bill for warranty return.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. Pixeled_Apple thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Thanks for the answer, If I can't upgrade it here-and-now; I'll stick with 512megs ; anybody livin Victoria Australia? Has anybody been StreetWise? It'll be a major help!

Thanks again!