Can you use a Mac Mini with a notebook computer?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ddmozart, Mar 8, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I am looking into using an Apple computer, specifically the Mac Mini. I have had PC exclusively since 1996. My question is: I have a Dell Latitude laptop computer and want to know if it is possible to attach it to a Mac Mini and thereby have the Leopard OP to use on the notebook's monitor.

Thanks,
    mozart

2. McGiord, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

macrumors 68040

McGiord

3. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No. That won't work.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the laptop does have a video input. Why would it not work....I've been trying to think and follow it throught, but don't trust myself!

Debbie

5. macrumors 68000

aross99

You really need a monitor and keyboard to use the Mini. A Laptop doesn't have a VGA or DVI video INPUT, or USB INPUT. THe closest you would come is to use a program like VNC to "remotely control" your Mini over the network.

That would work, but you still need a keyboard and monitor to boot up the Mini and set it up.

6. macrumors 68040

Killyp

...plus the performance would be dreadful.

You're gonna have to get a display to go with that. I bought a pretty good ViewSonic 17" widescreen display for £100 not that long ago, I bet you can get them for less now. The picture is relatively good (although don't expect Apple Cinema Display level quality).

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your help:) I sort of thought it wouldn't work well ,but just didn't know why. You have been a great help and I probably will just purchase an Apple laptop instead. I now know where to go for advise;)

8. macrumors member

Yes it will. Run VNC on the Mini and network it with the laptop.

9. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, yes that will work but that wasn't really the initial point of the thread (from my point of view). Anyway, I really recommend the OP just buy a new monitor with the Mini, I mean you can get a decent 19" LCD for around $200.