Can you use an Xbox 360 controller with Half-life 2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by benjuddeffect, Apr 10, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Just curious since we Mac users can now enjoy the gaming goodness...

Thanks for any help.

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

I think you can use a controller in HL2. I'm sure I've seen the option in there somewhere, or it might have been Doom 3.

3. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I too can't recall if Steam supports controllers but I'm pretty sure they do.

If it does, any controller that works in XP should work fine.

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep! You'll have to configure it yourself though. Play's better with keyboard & mouse though...

5. macrumors 68000

yes, you can, but why you would want to dumb it down like Halo is beyond me...

i guess if you want to be "pwned" online by everyone and their granny...

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, you'd be up against people with keyboards and mouse and they are VERY fast. Take me ;) I pwn (grr i hate that) 9/10 deathmatches on Lockdown. With a controller? I'd be crying. Especially with the precision that is the glowing red Rod Gun.

incidentally, IGN (or Ubisoft, forget who) said that it takes 3 seconds to turn around on a console FPS. 3/4 of a second on a keyboard/mouse setup and 1 second for the Rev controller.

7. macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Depends on the game and the control sensitivity, but it's obviously going to take less time when you can physically track your movement vs. waiting for the controller to "scroll" itself there. Having some sort of free-standing scroll ball in place of the D-pad would make for a nice aftermarket USB gamepad...does such a thing already exist? If so, I'm suprised it hasn't made it console-side yet.

I'm eager to see how Halo 2 is gonna turn out on Vista, and how much that game changes with map editor and mice...should be some interesting mods and maps to look forward to :D

8. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Hmm... we should play then sometime... if only there was a UB patch for it! That said, the Fuel Rod Gun and Flamethrower are additions to the computer version that, imo, should not be in the game.

As for those times... hmm.. I highly doubt it takes me much more then a second to turn around in Halo on Xbox, but my sensitivity was always at 8 (3 is default).

9. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Damn...I wish I could use a keyboard and mouse like you guys..but I suck without a game pad....

Too used to my X box and decades of consoles...keyboard and mouse feels so foreign and clunky to me.....

I got a logitech controler, (wireless) but halo and other games don't recognize it at all....

So, I had to get an app called Usb Overdrive to get around that...but it's still not the same....

I'm playing Half life 2 on the X box right now...and I still have yet to see what all the hype is about...but it seems to be getting better the further I progress..