Can you use apps from two iTunes accounts on one iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by HXGuy, Apr 28, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

Mar 25, 2010
    The WiFi iPad we bought on opening day is my wife's and I've been waiting for my 3G.

In the meantime, we have downloaded a few apps and a few eBooks (that she reads) on the iPad but it was all under my iTunes account.

If she now syncs the iPad to her comptuter, will she lose all the apps and ebooks or how does it work?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm pretty sure you can.
  3. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Yes, but you have to update them from the account purchased with.
  4. macrumors member

Aug 7, 2009
    I'll be interested to see how this works too when I get my iPad. Currently, both my wife and I have iPhones, but use separate iTunes accounts. Since Apple allows you to use your purchased apps on all the devices in your house, I've been syncing some of my apps with my wife's phone.

The problem is that if she tries to update them on her phone using my password, it kicks it back and says invalid password, even though it shows my user name and I know the password is correct. So then I have to sync my phone, grab the .ipa file, dump it in her iTunes folder and sync her phone again. It's a big pain.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2008
    No just make sure u have it set up manually sync music and movies and then u will have control over the iPad to use on the other computer. And on the iPad make sure she is under her account
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2009
    I found the best way to do this is to sign out of one iTunes account on your iPad and sign into the other and download the apps again that were on the other iPad. Once done sign back into the original account.
  7. macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2010
    Hong Kong
    It won't delete the things you have already purchased but if you want to update apps you have to log in the account you used to buy them. I also use 2 accounts to sync my iPad and I had no problems so far.