Can you use your mac abroad whit different voltage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by famfatal, Feb 18, 2005.

1. famfatal macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2005
    I'm planning on buying a Powerbook in Canada (110 volt). I want to take it home to the Netherlands (220 volt). Now I've read in a Dutch magazine that Apple no longer makes computers compatable to different voltages other than the country it is bought in. (Apple is supposed to do that in order to prevent customers to profit of the low dollar.) Is that true? :confused:

And how about a Powerbook? This computer is made to be a travelmate (throughout the world). Can you use a PB everywere in the world without worrying about different voltages?
  2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    Portable Macs have self sensing power supplies and will work if I recall 100-250volts.All you need is the plug adaptor kit which Apple sells there are cheaper solutions but not as convient or stylish.
    Just as a after thought you may need a US style to other telephone adaptor again lots make them but not as neat as Apple.(for Modem)
  3. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    I use my PB at home in the States and at home in Sweden.

No problems.

4. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    My understanding is that apart from the various plug fittings all the Apple portables work everywhere. Apparently the 110V iMac G5s only work in 110V regions but the 220V models have switching supplies