Canada Legalizes same sex marriages

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dornoforpyros, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Good for them. I'm not gay, but I wouldn't want to be told who I could and couldn't love. That's probably not going to happen here any time soon.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Three down (Canada, Netherlands, Belgium) and what, 220 or so to go?

We're on our way.

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

151/50 down :D (Canada, Netherlands, Belgium, Massachusetts)

Edit: That's 3 and 1/50, for those opposed to top-heavy fractions

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

woo woo! Not gay but pro-gay rights...what's the big deal in my book. Homosexuals are people too ;)

6. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Im glad that they changed their laws. Everyone should be able to have the right to be equal to men at women couples. Im not gay but I hate that theyre treated unfairly.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard more spontaneous renditions of "O Canada" on the streets of San Francisco. Always thought our northern neighbors had more than just a little common sense in dealing with social issues we can't help but get all worked up about. Good for Canada!

PS - I understand the Upper House of Parliment still has to approve, but it seems a forgone conclusion after this vote.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This seems to be catching!

BBC

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think it's time i learned how spain's government operates.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I was brought up in a pretty strict Christian household so they'd butcher me if they knew I felt this way, but I completely agree. It's only fair that people of all orientations are allowed to have legally binding marriages! I wonder, if everyone could marry whomever he/she wanted, would the divorce stats be more optimistic? I don't know anything as for the stats of same-gender partnerships and whatnot.

12. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Great - now we can't trust their drugs or their marriages.

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    So THAT's the sound I heard... and here i didn't even get see my new orchid bloom. :p

14. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

'bout time too. I really cant believe its taking this long. Its tragic that gay people can be treated as second class citizens in this day and age.

Yet another blow for discrimination *cheers* :cool: Just imagine what a gay wedding would be like: I dont wish to generalise but all my gay friends have incredible taste in style :D

15. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I don't have to imagine, I've been! We have family friends who've been together for over 15 years, and finally got to tie the knot. It was pretty emotional for a lot of people there. And yes, everything was very stylish. :D

16. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, the world's ending, who cares?

17. efoto macrumors 68030

I find it amazing how many people respond to gay topics with a thoughtful response, either for or against, and then if they are pro-gay in their comment they feel the need to throw in "I'm not gay by the way..." or something along those lines. If you are not gay, fine for you. If you are gay, fine for you. Either way, I honestly don't care, no need to share. I'm more interested in your opinion of the ruling than of your personal sexual interest. Not pointed at anyone in particular, not angry, just found it curious and a little funny to me that the little clarifying line has to be thrown in there.

It doesn't bother me that Canada approved same-sex marriages, it doesn't make me all smiles and chuckles either. Personally I think that the choices of all human beings, regardless of sexual preference, should be respected and honored.

I have both stylish and non-stylish friends, tasty and non-tasty friends as well. I have known some gay people with impecible taste and style, others can't tie their shoes when it comes to style and fashion. Stereotypically I see your point, that is grouping gay men with the über-feminine or just the fashion concious males which are more frequent in today's society. Gay men can like football too you know, or hunting, or boxing. They are still men :cool:

18. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Now you see the homophobia inherent in the system! Do you see the homophobia inherent in the system? Help, help, I'm being oppressed!

Yeah, it's sad that the homophobia extends so deeply that we feel a need to "defend" ourselfs against any possible gaydom attacks just to say we're happy about a civil rights victory.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now, now, don't be so quick on that trigger. Everybody has a sexual identity, that they prefer not to have others mistake. That's neither homophobia nor heterophobia, it's just part of our lives as sexual creatures.

20. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Exactly.

21. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm very happy for the Canadians at this point! Unfortunately, our right-wing ultra-conservative government won't give equality the time of day. It's very embarassing, as an American.

22. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

On an individual basis, perhaps, but in the "couple still holding hands after 80 years" thread you didn't get a lot of posts saying "now, I'm not straight or anything, but I think it's great that they're still married." I'm not saying it's homophobia on individuals' parts, but the fact that those statements are so prominent is indicative of the bias inherent in society.

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Or our cows or lumber, evidently.

Just waiting for Dubya to invade based on Canada harboring Weapons of Moral Degradation.

24. efoto macrumors 68030

I'm not so sure the defenses are not rooted in homophobia. You don't know me, I don't know you, I am not planning dating you, nor do I honestly value your opinion of my personal life unless I specifically ask you about a certain aspect of my life.

If I say I'm glad that there was a human rights victory, in this case about gay-rights concerning the right homosexual marriage, and then follow it up by saying, "I'm not gay btw" how do you read that? What is the point of me saying that to you? Am I gaining anything by saying that? Are you losing anything if I don't say it? If you assume I am gay solely because I didn't say "I'm not gay" then you are jumping to conclusions. I don't see the upside other than personal defense to stating your sexual preference online, unless it is relevant to the conversation, which in this case I don't think it is. I purposefully didn't share my sexual preference because there is no point in doing so.

"that they prefer not to have others mistake"
    I don't get this. We are online, on an internet forum discussing computers of all things. We have avatars that don't represent us realistically (except for mine :rolleyes: ), we have internet 'handles' because we don't want to share our real names, 90%+ don't fill out their profile information for god only knows why (myself included) but I'm willing to bet it is a subconcious self-presevation/protection mentality, etc etc. Now of all the things to share that might help me get to know you, in this setting, in this place, does your sexual preference have any bearing whatsoever?

25. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I understand your point, and I see how you're getting that based on IJReilly's comment. But I don't feel that it's really a true litmus test for our society's biases. (Which exist, especially toward homosexuals).

Let's take a gay man (for example). If everyone that he talked to assumed, and talked to him as a straight man; don't you think that at some point he might correct them?

It's just a matter of personal identity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.