Canada revisit same-sex vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by adroit, Jun 2, 2006.

1. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/02/harper-samesex.html

This is silly, why are we going backwards?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It sounds like so much hot air. bushco is pushing forward on a constitutional amendment banning the same in hopes of garnering votes this fall and in 2008.

I'm sure nothing will happen of it in either country, but it's sad to see a country going backwards even if it's all just for show.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- I have to say I think a lot of people are beginning to see these tactics for what they are. I heard a lot of people just say- oh here we go again. I think people are tired of this being used to get the vote when there are more pressing issues at hand.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is why this is backfiring. It used to get them votes when people cared. Now, not as many people care, and even more don't want to have anything to do with those who are so against it because of everything else those types support. Who wants to have anything to do with a neocon fundie right now? They also know liberals don't really want to deal with the issue, so they aren't worried they're going to actually do anything about it.

This is going to be a lot like immigration, euthanasia, privatizing SS... I could go on. People care for awhile, then they're sick of it and want to go back to real issues. In a few years, it won't be an issue for either country anymore than womens' or minorities' rights.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Politicians :(

They are making winning more important than governing well.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope you're right. I might actually stay in the US. :)

7. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

and that's the problem with bipartisan politics... either you agree with us, or you agree with them. unfortunately most people are quite so willing to adhere themselves to such absolutes. and so then the parties themselves can't even agree on anything. and the bureaucracy churns. and nothing gets accomplished...

i don't quite understand how an allegedly 'secular' governmental body could ever come up with a justifiable stance for prohibiting gay marriages. i mean, where is marriage ever even defined as the union between a man and a woman??? clearly it must be in the constitution somewhere. mmm... if by 'constitution' you mean 'the bible'. welcome to the twenty-first century. it's a time where morality is dictated by tired dogmas instead of sense and sensibility, where checks and balances favor the mob since it's suddenly now unpatriotic to disagree, where christianity has become the new secularism and no one even seemed to notice...

yeah i know this is canada and i'm talking more about america. but the whole thing frustrates me. how am i supposed to ever get married if countries can't ever just make a decision and stick with it? i guess it's time to head back to france...:rolleyes:

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course I'm right. Do you know anybody who proudly claims to be a Republican right now? Most of the conservatives I know will be staying home next election. Some will be voting Dem just because they hate their own party so much. And these are people who don't know anything about politics.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but if they win again in '06, I'll be joining you somewhere else. Apparently not Canada now if stuff like this goes through. But if they do, we're either crazy or there's some massive voter fraud going on.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And voter fraud would be new why? ;) Just look at Ohio.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or WA. But that was subtle. ;) For them to win again it would have to be massive.