Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Rogers really dropped the ball and damn do those plans add up. I'm sticking with Bell and getting an Instinct. I can get a Talk and Text plan for $35 + $10 unlimited web browsing.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
I'm voting with my wallet. No iPhone for me until an unlimited plan is available in Canada.

This whole thing has pissed me off enough that I'm seriously considering ditching Rogers (my current provider) entirely for Telus or Bell. I have two years left on a three year contract though - so the fee would be steep. Hard to justify paying a steep fee to protest over steep fees.

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
I think Rogers will adjust the plans, BUT not before the 11th. They want to see how many suckers they an get before doing the (semi) right thing.

michaellinehan

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2007
This Apple fanatic won't be buying an iPhone

This is a letter I wrote to Western Canada's Apple rep.....

Hi Richard,

I am an Apple Fanatic. Over the years, many people have switched because of me. (And ALL have been "kiss the ground I walk on" grateful.) I think the iPhone is an insanely amazing device - industry-changing AND beautiful.

And I won't be buying one.
And I will be telling everyone not to buy an iPhone.

I think that is a pretty good indication of how bad this is - and how pissed people are at Rogers.
(Of course, the stink will also stick, somewhat, to Apple.)

Rogers' data rates are so bad, you might as well be trying to sell me a Windows computer!

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto

OMG, IT ACTUALLY WORKED!! :D

I wish the G&M would get its facts straight, though. Rogers was going to charge $100 for a plan with 1GB of data, not 6GB.

Specifics from the press release:

Effective July 11, and as a limited time promotional offer for customers
who activate by August 31 on a three year contract, a data-only offering of
6GB of data for $30 per month is being made available that can be added to any
in-market voice plan. For example, with 6GB of data, iPhone 3G users can visit
35,952 web pages, or send and receive 157,286 emails, or watch 6,292 minutes
of YouTube videos each and every month.(xx)
New Canadian iPhone 3G customers will also have the choice to select from
Rogers Wireless' existing voice and smartphone data plans and/or additional
features to best suit their needs, or from Rogers Wireless' value bundled
plans specifically for iPhone 3G. Existing Rogers Wireless customers can keep
their current voice service plan and select a separate data plan to meet their
needs or choose from other plans after checking their individual upgrade
eligibility.

Pandora01

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Toronto
i wouldnt get tooo excited. i have a feeling that in the long run they will find some way to scam the people who get this plan.

I have that feeling, too, but I'm ignoring it. ;)

Seriously though, I have a long list of questions for the rep before I sign on any dotted lines, and this is one of them.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
this is basically appeasement for Canadian early adopters, rogers will go back to business as usual at the end of august and anyone who wants the 6gb data plan will have to pay $100 a month. Now if it helps sell enough iphones/smartphones maybe they'll keep it.
But I'm gonna take it while I can, 6gb is basically unlimited unless you are doing some extra data intensive stuff on a new app that is streaming video all day or something, but for regular iphone use(with wifi at home) I don't think I'll ever reach the limit in a month.

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
OK, now I'm torn. It's not unlimited, but it's a lot (AT&T has a 5Gb soft cap on their unlimited plan, so it is a better deal bandwidth wise).

Does anyone know where you can get some decent data on people's usage patterns in the US. The numbers they give for website pages etc strike me as being marketing BS. Does anyone know of a third party that can verify their claims?

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
Rogers Is Still Screwing Canadians!!!!

Based on the information that Rogers gave out about adding the $30 value plan (6 GB per month) to any plan for use with the iphone is totally not happening. The added usage per month is only for adding onto the original plans that Rogers had given out! The canadian customers are still being ripped off by Rogers, unless something changes in the near future Rogers will be losing many customers such as myself.

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
When you customize the plans for the iPhone on the rogers site the only options that they provide are the ridiculously expensive ones that were originally provided

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
i called rogers today, and they said if i want to gift my iphone to someone else, i can. so basically i can buy it on my account and then someone else can activate it. If so then can we buy it in the US apple store and activate it here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.