Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Link

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canadian troops fighting Taliban militants in Afghanistan have stumbled across an unexpected and potent enemy -- almost impenetrable forests of marijuana plants 10 feet tall.

General Rick Hillier, chief of the Canadian defense staff, said Thursday that Taliban fighters were using the forests as cover. In response, the crew of at least one armored car had camouflaged their vehicle with marijuana.

"The challenge is that marijuana plants absorb energy, heat very readily. It's very difficult to penetrate with thermal devices. ... And as a result you really have to be careful that the Taliban don't dodge in and out of those marijuana forests," he said in a speech in Ottawa, Canada.

"We tried burning them with white phosphorous -- it didn't work. We tried burning them with diesel -- it didn't work. The plants are so full of water right now ... that we simply couldn't burn them," he said.

Even successful incineration had its drawbacks.

"A couple of brown plants on the edges of some of those [forests] did catch on fire. But a section of soldiers that was downwind from that had some ill effects and decided that was probably not the right course of action," Hiller said dryly.

One soldier told him later: "Sir, three years ago before I joined the army, I never thought I'd say 'That damn marijuana'."

Isn't it strange how the reporter has sort of presented these marijuana plants as actively fighting against the forces of good? Maybe we should add marijuana to the 'axis of evil'. We will not negotiate with these terrorist plants.

I wonder what the reporter's personal views are on the subject of illicit drugs.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i absolutely love this line:

ut a section of soldiers that was downwind from that had some ill effects and decided that was probably not the right course of action

Ie. they got stoned!!!!! lol

it's good to have a laugh for our boys over there as they have been taking it on the nose lately with car bombings etc..

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
ten foot tall plants are not "bud". they are for hemp, at least thats my understanding.

i doubt they are of what people in Canada consider good stuff.

the again, might be the kind for hashish making, which would be quite potent indeed.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I bet soldiers 'suffering' from those "ill effects" took refuge in the Afghan Tim Hortons. :)

While the situation is probably very frustrating for them, you know it's gotten bad when the troops start calling thier field rations 'munchies'. :cool:

Let's just hope for everybody's sake it's not the kind of weed that makes you paranoid, those guys are heavily armed, and that would not be a good situation to have on your hands.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Sdashiki said:
gimme some papers and a few lighters, Ill have us a clear field to land troops in no time sir!

Well, if Halliburton can profiteer in war zones, then I should be able to market my new kebab recipe as well.

Just doing my part to support the troops.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Just legalize the stuff, there isnt any reason to keep it illegal anymore now that they are letting in millions & millions of Mexicans every year and that was the real reason they dreamed up the stupid law in the first place. Neocons & Politicians.

FelixGV

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
OMG this is great!

I'm sure a few of them soldier put a handful or two of buds in their pockets for later... At least the french canadian ones must have.

Hahaha...

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Dont Hurt Me said:
Just legalize the stuff, there isnt any reason to keep it illegal anymore now that they are letting in millions & millions of Mexicans every year and that was the real reason they dreamed up the stupid law in the first place. Neocons & Politicians.
Wasn't it to protect Hearst's investment in wood-pulp, actually?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
skunk said:
Wasn't it to protect Hearst's investment in wood-pulp, actually?
There was a bunch of political not scientific reasons but here is the mexican connection

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 77

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
How big is our deficit at the moment? Cut that forest down, process it, and get it on to the street. There's 3 or 4 trillion dollar dent we can make...

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
skunk said:
Where do I sign up?
Totally :cool: :D It sounds like a dream job, except there is probably a lack snack foods.

Those are probably hash plants, so the soldiers are likely coming out of the "forest" covered in resin....mmm....resinnnnn.
Sarge: "Sorry Cap'n. No patrol today. The men have smoked their uniforms again."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.