Canada Wins IIHF WJHC Gold

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by rickvanr, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

2. rock6079 macrumors 6502

yeah... go Canada.. that was an awsome game last night...

i miss hockey :mad: :(

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I didn't realize that I miss hockey too, friends asked me out to see last nights game and I couldn't say no. Team Canada was in excellent form and before the game we were nervous that it'd be close, but it seems Russia wasn't out to play (we thought Ovechkin left during the 2nd to throw a tantrum in the dressing room). Even though it wasn't a nail biter, there were some excellent plays that made the game really watchable.

:)

4. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You weren't the only one who thought that :rolleyes:

I just got the feel from the whole Russian team that they were ready to throw a tantrum at any time. Apparently they have also taken diving lessons from FIFA.

The first two periods were really good, I found the third to be a snoozer, but then again it was hard to make it anything else.

5. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

So many great moments. Favourites being when Crosby hit Ovechkin, and then Bergeron nailed Ovechkin. I'd speculate it was Bergeron's hit that finally made him leave. Also, Dion Phaneuf scoring was special because he was the work horse of the team. Carter tying the Team Canada goal count was nice. The difference of the game was Canada's players showed up to play, and Russia, just wasn't very strong, and 2 there big name players either didn't show up to play or were completely shut down.

EDIT: favourite quote.. Pierre McGuire in regards to the dive show by the Russians: "the Russians going down like free beer at a frat party"

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wonder how many guys I know on the US team...

7. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

That was a classic line.

I also liked Phaneuf going through the one Russian so hard that he actually took a second out on the same play. Especially when you consider that led to a goal!

The highlights for me were some of the absolutely incredible passing plays we were doing. I remember a couple of banked passes off the boards that really stood out, and one goal (can't remember which) where they just passed it in so many circles around the Russian goal that I think the Russians finally got dizzy.

8. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

oh, my, god. i just about wet myself when i heard that - almost. that, and him calling guys MONSTER - too funny.

funny no american posts to the thread, i was kinda hoping they would have been on the poopy end of the stick last night instead of the russians.

great game - shows why hockey is still the fastest, toughest and most exciting sport. can't wait for phaneuf to play here in calgary.

9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Great win. London Knights are playing unbelievable in the OHL too. Last I checked, they were 31-2-2.

Signed,
    A Detroit native who knows that "Hockeytown" is really Toronto.

10. wnameth macrumors 65816

wnameth

Canada dominated every game they were faced with....GO CANADA GO

11. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Okay, I'll post, albeit late.

I had the chance to watch the Canadians totally handle the Czech team last Sunday in the Toronto airport (though how you give up a short handed goal when you've only allowed 5 shots is beyond me). It was so much better listening to announcers who know what the heck is going on rather than ESPNs 9th string scrubs (the only ones they could talk into going up to North Dakota and covering hockey instead of basketball, I guess).

Watching the entire tournament made me realize how awful the NHL game had gotten. We were all treated to some great open-ice hockey far away from the clutching and grabbing trap sh*t routinely seen in the NHL. I really miss hockey too, but I miss the kind of hockey we saw in this tournament, not the defensive-minded slogfest brand of hockey invented by those aptly-named Devils from New Jersey. It's a real shame that the lockout happened when it did, because both Tampa Bay and Calgary showed that you can get to the finals playing open ice hockey. I had hoped the trend would catch on....

12. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

you know it, those who love the game really love it. it was really old time hockey fast, big hits and tremendous skill by all involved, and no slight to our american neighbours who had a great run too.

13. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Another thing I noticed: I saw a good number of the games, and not one fight. And it was entertaining (gasp!)

Nothing infuriates me more at a hockey game than those shrieking (usually female) fans who go just for the fights.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*ahem* ;)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The rinks are just too small in the NHL. That's one of the main reasons why the game is choppy now......not enough room for faster, flash players to move and work with the puck. The bodies on the ice are just too large to simply try to skate around when there isn't enough room.

There should be some sort of rule that says that all newly built rinks should be able to switch to International rink sizes to accomodate a size change in the future. Too bad so many new stadiums were built in the 1990s......surely they're not going to build a new rink just so that we can use large rinks. Lots of people built rinks large enough to accomodate International hockey, but it should be a rule, and a size switcheroo should be done as soon as possible.

16. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

there were no fights because if you fight you are automatically ejected from the next game as well. If that rule wasn't in place, and it was simply a 5 minute penalty, I'm sure there would have been at least a couple.

17. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Not enough ice
    A red line that discourages passing
    offside rules meant to slow down the game
    hooking and grabbing allowed to even out the teams
    officials who are told to apply different standards to the fast teams

The list goes on

Too bad the NHL still has the comissioner it does. While those rinks were being built a lot of people were saying that they should be built to accomodate international rinks, but they were ignored.

For as long as we have a commisioner who's goal is to bring hockey down to the lowest common denominator so it can be "expanded" into a lot of areas that really don't care, we will have to watch international hockey to get our fix of the way it should be played.

[/rant]

18. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Reminds me of one those great hockey / airport memories I had. Final game of the Olympic mens, and I was in the Ottawa Airport waiting for baggage. While on the flight in, Westjet had been giving regular updates on the score, I wasn't sure if anyone would be announcing them in the airport. But I had been there only about 5 minutes when the Westjet agent came on the intercom and announced a CDN goal. Not a minute latter, airport authority comes on an announces that the intercom is only for the broadcast of flight information not for hockey scores. Apparently not a hockey fan. But, everyone was relieved to hear the Westjet agent a couple minutes later with the next hockey game update.

Shows where most of our priorities lie at times of national pride.

The other one was being able to shake Jordin Tootoo's hand as he stepped off the plane in Winnipeg after last years WJ tourney, even though they came home with the silver, everyone at that airport gate was on there feet welcoming Jordin back.