Canada Wins World Cup of Hockey

Discussion in 'Community' started by sockdoggy, Sep 14, 2004.

1. sockdoggy macrumors regular

2. bryanc macrumors 6502

The Finns gave us a good game

You've got to be impressed that a country with just over 5 million people can put together a team as good as Finland's (or the Czechs, for that matter).

'Course, by that logic, one would expect the US team to crush all opposition :)

I'm looking forward to the WHA turning hockey back into something enjoyable. I won't miss the NHL.

Cheers

3. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

First off :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

But, _please_ for future consideration don't post spoilers in headers! I'm on the west coast and most sports events happen while I'm at work. At 4:00 I avoided all news outlets, and time shifted the game so I could watch it at home.

I considered Mac Rumors to be safe, and fortunately I didn't see this post until after I finished the game. But _please_ try to keep us west coasters in mind with things like this!

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and the Eastsidaz.... :mad:

I was quite keen on missing the chance to watch another hockey game since they don't show it here, but catch the highlights if ESPN even bothers to show it. Then if they didn't show it, I was going to resort going to NHL.com.

Aw well, the important thing is that Canada is still tops. :cool:

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

yep, we finns can be proud of the 2nd place. so close...

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

A 2nd place you can be proud of. It was a hard fight ... I didn't dare relax until the buzzer went, the Finnish team was dangerous right to the end!

And Tuomo Ruutu's goal was a beauty!

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But what percentage of the NHL players are from Canada? ;)

8. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

CANADA 0WNZ ALL J00 MONKEYZ AT HOCKEY!!!!!!!

What a fab game it was. Glad to see Canada dominate.

9. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Well under half I believe and I think we're losing ground fast in that department.
    I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but what percentage of NBA players are American? Need I bring up the Olympics...

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

As of two years ago it was still ~ 50%.

In the 90's rumors of Canada's demise in hockey were greatly exaggerated by newspapers trying to sell copies.

11. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

I stand corrected. These stats are from 2001 but it probably hasn't change a whole lot since then.
    http://www.stlouisblues.com/news/0001/011010aa.html

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I remember reading a similar number a couple of years ago, and it stuck out in my mind because I was so sure I had read many, many articles about how Canadians are losing their place in the NHL.

As for why Americans aren't dominant (and why, as evidenced in this year's world cup they don't appear to have enough young talent in the queue) given their population base, you have to remember that really only that thin band along the 49th parallel cares about hockey, so the population they're drawing from is much smaller than it may seem.

I was listening to the radio when Tampa Bay won the cup last year, and the reporter standing outside the Tampa Bay arena pointed out it was louder on Robson Street in Vancouver (where our team had been knocked out over a month before) than it was outside the Stanley Cup winner's arena immediately after the game.