Canadian/American Immigration - 18 Yr Old

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kardashian, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey there!

I'm 17, 18 in 6 months.

I'm planning on leaving the UK on a permanent basis, but I would also like to continue my Uni. Education in the chosen country.

The 2 countries I would love to emmigrate to are American and Canada.

There are many reasons for me wanting to leave, some personal, some educational, and that I want more oppertunities when I'm older.

A few things to note is that:

1. I have NO family in either of these countries
    2. I have a full primary, (and at the time of applying) full secondary education (GCSEs, doing AS levels now, and A levels next year before leaving)
    3. I have no criminal record
    4. I will be taking around £10K with me

Do I meet criteria to get into either Canada or the USA on a PERMANENT Educational and/or Work basis?

Thanks guys! :)

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

3. Queso macrumors G4

Josh, be honest. You just want to live somewhere with a hope of getting an Apple Store ;)

4. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I don't understand that site, I have already been on it. There are different categories for immigration:

Skilled Worker Class Immigration
    Business Class Immigration
    Provincial Nomination
    Family Class Immigration
    International Adoption
    Quebec-Selected Immigration

Would my education fit under the skilled workers category? The website isn't very informative for people who have a full education, who want to reside in Canada permanently to continue it.

I'm guessing your a resident so I'm wondering if you could enlighten me further? Thanks :)

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

LOL. That would be a HUGE bonus.

I just, hope I don't have to stay in the UK simply because I don't have any family there. I want to be the first one from mine to break away and make something of myself. Although from what people have said, without me having years of work experience as Doctor (or some special field) or immediate family, Canada and America will reject me. :(

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Perhaps you should apply to universities in the US and Canada and start with a student visa?

7. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I thought of that. But I've been told that without immediate family in the USA, or investment in a government company for $1,000,000 there is no way I would be granted permanent residency without a US marriage.

:confused:

8. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Student visas in Canada are very restricting. You can only work at the school you attend.
    I'm not certain, but after school is completed you may need to reapply if you want to stay.

Business Class Immigration-running or investing in businesses, are you?
    Provincial Nomination- further research required
    Family Class Immigration- you said no family
    International Adoption - doesn't apply
    Quebec-Selected Immigration - possible if you desire

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks for being so helpful, :). Do you have iChat by any chance, to save reposting here over and over?

One thing though, I'm not certain I want to continue with University, I may be happy just becoming a permanent resident, working, gettin a home (Rent) etc.. and maybe in a few years becoming a Student in a Uni. there.

One thing is for sure though, I want to become a permanent resident. As I stand now, is this possible?

And no, I won't be setting up a business. :)

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

After I completed School, could I 100% become a Canadian permanent resident?

I don't want to move, settle, get a Degree, only to be told where to go.

I want to set up a life as well as home. :)

Could I not apply now as a Skilled Worker, surely my GCSEs, AS Level and A-Levels count as something? You can leave school here in the UK with GCSEs and go straight into training for Child Care, Nursing, anything really. (Which I believe is what Canada would consider a 'skill') AS-Level is the next standard up (doing now) and A-Level is the top educational degree you can get without attending university, and most jobs will hire you on this and send you for training.

Would they alone not count to me being ''skilled'' enough to emmigrate permanently, and begin work?

11. Queso macrumors G4

Sorry Josh, but you have to show experience in an area where the country has a recognised skill shortage for that route to work. If you were already a trained paramedic or teacher or any other recognised profession, it would work, but academic qualifications are too general without also having relevant experience.

I honestly think the student visa method is the best way to go. Whilst there, see if a company will sponsor your application to stay once graduated.

12. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

13. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Can you explain this further, please?

I can come out to Canada, as I am now, with the qualifications's I have.
    I get a Student Visa, Continue my Edu.
    I look for a job in the meantime, who, at the end of my Edu. term (when Visa exp's.), will support me/nomiate me for permanent residency in Canada?

Is there a way that application can be rejected? :(

Sorry to go on a lot, just I'm hoping to make it my life for the rest of, well, my life :)

14. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

You're 17, it's unlikely you know what you want for the rest of your life.
    On the other hand it could be a great life experience.
    Either way get your education while you are young.

15. Queso macrumors G4

That's how it works, but there is still a chance that your application to stay will be rejected when you graduate. However, if a company sponsors you to be there, and you therefore get temporary residency, it gets you a step closer to staying indefinitely. Unfortunately as I've said, unless you have a proven track record in a field where Canada needs expertise, they are not going to just open the doors. As OttawaGuy suggests, you really need to talk directly with people who have gone through this. A phone call to the Canadian High Commission in London would also answer a lot of your questions as to the options available to you.

16. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    becoming a permanent resident in the US is ridiculously difficult and expensive, not to mention it takes for ever. just start with the student visa for now...it's by far the easiest to get.

17. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

18. Queso macrumors G4

Time enough to get married to a nice North American girl :D

19. LogicBored macrumors newbie

I moved from the UK to Toronto 1 year ago. I'm here on a two-year work permit with a seperate application put in for permanent residency. Canada will most certainly be an easier option for you to move to (they actively need immigrants).

You would therefore be here on a student visa but also have a permanent residency application in too (to allow you to stay after your studies are over). The residency can take 6 months to 3 years to come through.
    Not sure if a student visa allows you to have a part time job or not.

Make the jump dude, come in, the water is fine......

20. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thing is, I know what I want isn't around here. I don't want to bore any of you with the details, but lets just say theres no family to keep me grounded here, there are very little, if any, reasonable job offers, and to go to University, I will have to move across the country, when quite frankly, my hope has always been to go abroad, and learn wonderful new cultures, and adapt as best I can - branch out on my own, which has always been something of a dream.

I understand what your saying, but maybe Im a rarity? :p

21. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

If I come in on a Student visa, can I apply for Permanent Res. on the grounds of me learning skills out there?

I don't want to move, get skills, only to be rejected.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

As a high school graduate, I think that "technically" you have no "skills", at least in the US (just from a burocratic point of view)

I know there is a annual green card 'lottery', and I hear that for europeans the chances are actually pretty good because of a quota system/number of applicants.
    you might want to enquire about that

23. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Basically I have 2 options:

1. Apply for Uni. there. Work my ass off, Graduate, Apply for Permanent Res. whilst I'm there - see if I am accepted.

2. Apply for a 2 year work visa, and get a Company to sponsor me as a Perma. Res. and then after thats completed, and I'm accepted, I can join a Uni, and still work? (I was planning on taking a year out from Uni anyway)

24. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Any offers? Im not dead against it lol, We can build love along the way! :p

25. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Good luck what ever you decide.
    I work at a University and as far as I know, student visas require you to work on campus.
    That can be a pain because every student from abroad has the same restriction, so there are never enough jobs to go around.
    This can be a real challenge if you stay all summer instead of returning home.