Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hampton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Victoria, BC
So I bit the bullet and ordered my first-ever Mac. I'm a student, so I ordered it on the 25th of Oct through my school's on-campus Apple reseller. Nothing fancy, just a 2.16/1gb/120gb/matte C2D MBP. They said 1 week.

Fast forward to today, I go in, no MBP, and boy am I getting the runaround now. They say they have no idea, can't get me an ETA, and even if they could it would be meaningless and could be a month since "that's just how Apple is and Canada isn't their priority". Nice reseller, eh?

Do you fellow Canadians have your paws on one of these babies yet? Is my reseller just inept, lazy, or possibly both? I get discouraged reading the other threads about people who ordered after me and have them already.

Thanks!

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Do you fellow Canadians have your paws on one of these babies yet? Is my reseller just inept, lazy, or possibly both? I get discouraged reading the other threads about people who ordered after me and have them already.

That sucks man. I bought my glossy C2D MBP from one of the Apple Stores here in Toronto 4 days after they were released (bought it @ Yorkdale). They had the matte ones first. Then they started getting the glossy ones at the Eaton Centre branch. I guess their priorities are the Apple Stores first, then the small retailers. It sucks but that's the way it goes I guess. Good luck.:eek:

vcc

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
Canada
It's better to wait and make sure it's okay than to get it early with problems on it. A friend of mine bought her powerbook 4 years ago and at that time she had to wait 6 months for it ... it's not that bad now...

patience, patience :)

TYC

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
I ordered my MBP the same day as you, with an education discount as well, however mine is 2.33GHz/2GB/160GB/256MB/Glossy

My MBP has an ETA of: November 6, 6:00PM :)
However - with overnight shipping, it seems a little too long to wait :confused:

Oh well - we'll get them soon :D

Cheers!

-TYC-

JonathanDerry

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Mine is on it's way

I ordered mine from my local campus comuter store on the Oct 25th I got basicaly the same configuration as you ordered except I got 2gb of ram.:cool: I was just told today that it was sent out and they gave me a tracking number for it, right now it's in alaska :) and the estimated date for it to get to me is Nov. 6 at 6:00 as well, so hopefuly that means that yours isn't too far away.

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
I swear, we Canadians get no respect. Those bloody Yanks get their macs days earlier than we do!:p

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Why order from your campus reseller when you can order from the Apple.ca education store? The discounts are probably better than whatever your campus store is giving you (they are on my campus, at least, even with education tax) There aren't any duty fees and shipping is free. I don't see why you would order through someone else.

The Shady

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Mines at
Nov 2, 2006 3:27 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

My ETA is Monday at 12. I can't wait that long. I ordered on October 27 at 11:37PM PST. I just want the thing. It'll be my first personal Mac. As far as someone saying patience. I used it all in waiting for C2D MBs that I switched to C2D MBP. I played right into Apple's hands. I don't care, I want my baby. I'm rambling now. Cheers

vectormasked

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Somewhere in Canada
I ordered my macbook pro last saturday the 28th and today i got a call from Macstation in vancouver telling me that my computer had arrived. Not too bad. it arrived within the 4th business day after ordering it.

what sucks is that I will go back tomorrow to the store to complain, get a replacement or at least get it fixed. there is avery high-pitched sound coming from the keyboard and screen that is so annoying. I even got a headache coz this sound is just high.

truelife13

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
I am also a first time mac buyer:) . I order my 2.16ghz C2D from apple on Oct 25th with the normal shipping via fed ex. I just got it on Tues Oct 31 which is pretty good for normal shipping. My mac went from Shanghai->Anchorage->Memphis->Mississauga->Edmonton. Hopefully you get yours soon! Just to let you know mine isnt exibiting any of the problems I heard of or worried about. There isnt any whine at all, i cant hear any noise at all unless i put my ear right up to it, it does get a tad warm but it is quite comfortable if i do decide to put it on my lap for a while at a time.

The Shady

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I'm guessing Mississauga then Hamilton for me. Here's to hoping they do this today, which I doubt it.

11/02/06 11:59 pm
Arrived At Sort Facility
Memphis, TN

11/02/06 03:27 pm
Left Fedex Sort Facility
Anchorage, AK

11/02/06 11:25 am
Arrived At Sort Facility
Anchorage, AK

11/02/06 02:31 pm
Left Fedex Ramp
Shanghai

11/01/06 07:58 pm
Pickup Status
Shanghai

11/01/06 07:58 pm
Left Fedex Origin Location
Shanghai

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
So I bit the bullet and ordered my first-ever Mac... Nothing fancy, just a 2.16/1gb/120gb/matte C2D MBP.

nah, nothing fancy, just the second fastest notebook Apple have ever made... :p

sucks that they can't be stuffed shipping it a few hundred miles north... when you get it, you'll forget all about the long wait :D

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Min'e almost here (Windsor, ON), ordered on the 26th.

Nov 3, 2006

7:31 AM Int'l shipment release MISSISSAUGA, ON
4:24 AM In transit MEMPHIS, TN

Nov 2, 2006

11:59 PM Arrived at FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN
3:27 PM Departed FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK
11:25 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

Nov 1, 2006
7:58 PM Picked up SHANGHAI CN
Package received after FedEx cutoff

7:58 PM Left origin SHANGHAI CN
6:37 PM Package data transmitted to FedEx

boaredtodeath

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
PygmySurfer:

Looks like Monday it is for you and I.
I am in Windsor as well, mine sitting at same status as yours.
I just called and they said Monday is best they can do

Min'e almost here (Windsor, ON), ordered on the 26th.

Nov 3, 2006

Nov 2, 2006

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Looks like Monday it is for you and I.
I am in Windsor as well, mine sitting at same status as yours.
I just called and they said Monday is best they can do

Yeah, that's what I figure too, don't see it getting from Mississauga to the sorting facility in Windsor, then out to us anytime today :( FedEx ETA says Monday by 6pm, hopefully it's earlier than that - I'd rather waste my day playing with my new MBP than working :)

boaredtodeath

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
LOL
I would rather drive up and get it and have it for the weekend...
arghhh

Yeah, that's what I figure too, don't see it getting from Mississauga to the sorting facility in Windsor, then out to us anytime today :( FedEx ETA says Monday by 6pm, hopefully it's earlier than that - I'd rather waste my day playing with my new MBP than working :)

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Ordered in the morning of the 31st, shipped around midnight by time last night, and currently appears to still be in China. Ah well, suppose I can wait another week... :(

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
So I bit the bullet and ordered my first-ever Mac. I'm a student, so I ordered it on the 25th of Oct through my school's on-campus Apple reseller. Nothing fancy, just a 2.16/1gb/120gb/matte C2D MBP. They said 1 week.

Fast forward to today, I go in, no MBP, and boy am I getting the runaround now. They say they have no idea, can't get me an ETA, and even if they could it would be meaningless and could be a month since "that's just how Apple is and Canada isn't their priority". Nice reseller, eh?

Thanks!

Who was the reseller? Some are better than others.

I bought my machine from the online Apple store, and I had no problems at all. A friend of mine tried to get one from the UVic computer store, and they ended up dropping the ball a dozen times at least. Luckly she managed to cancel the order and get it elsewhere instead.

A Robot

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
So... I haven't received anything from FedEx before. What do they do when you're not home? Does it go back to their sorting centre in the middle of nowhere for pickup, or do they give it to one of their local shipping stores?

I don't want to get burned like I do with those UPS bastards. You can't pick it up from their one location in the middle of nowhere on the day they attempted delivery. I have to call the office, tell them to leave it at the depot, then get there some time during their goofy office hours the next day. Purolator is still in the middle of nowhere but at least I can get it the same day, Canada Post rocks, it's a five minute walk away.

I may just take time off work if they're going to be jerks.

TYC

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2006
I'll just quote myself, since the other thread is basically the same...
Nov 3, 2006 - 3:22 PM - Departed FedEx location - MEMPHIS, TN

I assume it is on FedEx Flight 597, since it's going to the only airport near me :)
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX597

EDIT - It could actually be on this flight as well: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FDX238
(let alone a couple of other flights :p)

I still have an estimated delivery of Nov 6, 2006 6:00 PM

Can't wait for it to be here :D

Cheers!

-TYC-

hampton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thanks for all the replies, gang. :)

After reading some of the responses I also called Apple to ask them if there was any truth to what I was told. The woman on the phone actually scoffed when I told her that they said Canada wasn't a priority for apple and that they couldn't get me an ETA. Anyway, they filed some sort of official complaint against the reseller and told me I should just go cancel my order, get my deposit back, and buy directly from them, and that I would, in fact, get a proper ETA. So that's what I did, even though now I have to start the wait all over again!

Why order from your campus reseller when you can order from the Apple.ca education store?

I'm on campus most of the day and therefore not home to sign for the package when it did arrive. It was the same price as online so I (incorrectly) assumed it would be easier.

Who was the reseller? Some are better than others.

I bought my machine from the online Apple store, and I had no problems at all. A friend of mine tried to get one from the UVic computer store, and they ended up dropping the ball a dozen times at least. Luckly she managed to cancel the order and get it elsewhere instead.

It seems they have not improved. I did indeed order from the UVic computer store. At least they gave me the refund no-questions-asked after I said I was cancelling because I was getting the runaround. Perhaps they are used to that reason.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
LOL
I would rather drive up and get it and have it for the weekend...
arghhh

Alright, now I'm confused..

Nov 3, 2006
3:22 PM Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN

I'm guessing it didn't actually leave Memphis until 3:22pm, but I'm really not sure what that second entry is supposed to mean.. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.