Canadian Election Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kwajo.com, Jan 23, 2006.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I couldn't find any other discussion of this on here and I know there are plenty of Canadians on MacRumors so I thought I'd open discussion.

Do we have any predictions for today? Personally I predict:
    Liberal: 110
    Conservative: 115
    Bloc: 49
    NDP: 34
    Green: none, but about 7% of the popular vote

It should be interesting to watch. In my riding of Saint John, I am pretty sure that it will be a Liberal win, and from what I can think of, New Brunswick will probably be a 6/3/1 split for the liberals, conservatives and NDP respectively (though it wouldn't surprise me if the conservatives picked up a fourth seat in the province).

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey! Fix that map! Illinois is not in Jesusland!

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Illinois is a blue state, why should it be in Jesusland?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hey lee -- illinois is in midamerica. or are you saying it *should* be in jesusland?

numediaman, nice to see you back here.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Well anyone got any results yet from eastern Canada yet?

For those of you who don't know in Canada we have a publication ban that keeps voters from knowing the current results until the polls have closed in their area.

I am in Ontario so I don't have any results until 9:30 eastern. Anyone have a source on the internet outside of Canada that is current?

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

That map is horribly in accurate. You are very naive if you believe that just because Canada elects a Conservative PM you can paint the whole country conservative. Our northern territories, Quebec, some eastern provinces, and maybe even Ontario will not elect Conservatives in the majority of their ridings. Having said that, I am very glad to be leaving 12 long years of corrupt liberal rule, and finally seeing a party come to power that shares my point of view.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats pretty cool, in the U.S. they try to predict the election results with 1% of the votes:rolleyes:

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The map's a joke folks... we all know the US doesn't look like that either. I'm in a conservative part of California, others are in liberal areas of 'Jesusland'.

That said, I'll be interested to see just how 'conservative' a Canadian conservative party member is. I mean, America's left is most countries middle to center-right for cryin' out loud. :p

9. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The conservative popular vote was up but that didn't give them the increase in seats they wanted.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From what I see in the map, it was included in Jesusland. It should NOT be!

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

when i saw it, it was not. perhaps it was edited in the meantime? regardless, now it's gone.

12. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Good.

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Now we can get onto corrupt Conservative rule! A jesus thumping/ pro USA Republican/ gay bashing/ women have no right to choose kind of mindset. So looking forward to it.

Show me a government that doesn't have skeletons in the closet. That being said, it's going to be a minority which means they won't be able to make any wacky changes that I'm most afraid of.

14. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

16. candan9019 macrumors regular

Just like I said in another post, anyone who thinks that a conservative government won't become corrupt is living in a dream. Makes me wonder why it was ever an issue.

17. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

:( and :rolleyes: at Harper being the new PM. i'm not too pleased, though some of my predictions were very accurate, especially those on Atlantic Canada and the Bloc/NDP results

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You'd think the Canadians would look at the US as an example of what happens when you get conservative leaders and vote liberal. Or are Canadians just as dumb as us? Choosing leaders that they know will do a ****** job and **** everything up. Reminds me of something I heard from a redneck down here on the day of the 2004 election....."Yeah, I know the economy is in terrible shape, but I voted for Bush anyways".

19. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

well a lot of people realize that, but remember, there are also a lot of people that want that sort of leader. At least in this case Harper is a smart man, he's just got views on issues that oppose myself and a lot of urban, progressive voters. but the truth stands, apparently canadians want him as PM :rolleyes:

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks like govt scandals have moved Canada to the right just as the scandals in the U.S. should move us left, seems we cant get in the same step with Canada. Interesting how Canada is divided almost 50/50 just as the U.S. is.

21. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

You must remember the Canadian conservatives aren't so far to the right as the Cons. in the states. ( They aren't as "extreme" - using the word 'extreme' lightly to make my point).

22. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Not exactly.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/elections/fed2005/fragments/results/federalResults.html

36.3%/30.2%/10.5%/17.5%

Funny thing is that the party with 10.5% is trying to separate the province of Quebec from the rest of Canada; it is the main focus of their party, yes we have a lot of insane people here in Canada.

Just don't forget, as rickvanr said this is a minority government so it is not what ever the conservatives say goes.

Although Harper is a Christian, he almost never mentioned christianity in his campaigning. Canada is a secular country, and also there are a ton of christians who have voted liberal and NDP.

I have nothing against improving our relations with the US especially republicans as they are currently in power. Lets not forget 85% of our exports go to the US so lets keep our relations with them strong.

Last I saw same sex marriage was only in support by about 30% of Canadians while about 70% opposed it, so I see no problem with Harper sending the decision to parliament.

Lets not get into the abortion issue here, it just looks like enough Canadians agree with Harpers position on it.

As a final note, I think I have proven my point on how inaccurate the Jesusland map is, but FYI only 4 of 13 Canadian provinces and territories voted for more Conservatives them any other party. And also a funny note the colours are reverse here; Conservatives are blue and liberals are red.

23. candan9019 macrumors regular

ChrisFromCanada do you think you could change your tar now? I'm not trying to be a jerk but for those of us who don't share your views it gets a bit annoying after a while. That is unless you were waiting for a majority.;)